We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort Liability

Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Resort Liability

Out of curiosity, I was reading the liability release waivers for the EDGE pass. I get the notion that Whistler holds no accountability for any injuries at all (obviously this is a sport with risks) - however I was curious about the issue of a chairlift incident - like the Quicksilver accident.

Would the resort be held liable if a chairlift ever fell, like in 95'? Not a worry - just hate not knowing something after I read it (waiver) and got confused.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,192 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resort Liability

The legal beagles might chime in with a more learned response, but my take is negligence can't be signed away. If you twist your ankle that's on you but if the chair falls due to faulty maintenance then signing doesn't absolve them of responsibility.

2. Re: Resort Liability

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 December 2012, 18:35
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resort Liability

if the lift or gondola falls off, well then that's WB's issue. If you huck yourself off a 45ft gap jump and bite it, end up in a body cast...well that's your issue.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,721 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Resort Liability

Yup both are correct.

I think that the last of the excalibur stuff was finally settled in the last while too.

Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Resort Liability

Well - trip is all booked, staying at the Aava Hotel for 6 nights and riding 6 days. I bought an Avalung Backpack I got so freaked out about a tree well - we don't have those on the ice coast. ha

I was reading the liability issue and it says that the resort is not held accountable for negligence which includes death via the ski lifts. Seems pretty drastic to me. Kind of like a restaurant holding no liability for poisoning your food.

As for 45 foot jumps... I wish I could do those :)

Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Resort Liability

I forgot to add to the previous post, I read that the lift in question was quickly replaced with new gear following the incident in 1995 - however there are still a bunch of lifts operating at the resort which were made by YAN lift Engineering. Were those replaced with new grips/gear too or just the Quicksilver chair?

I don't know if links are allowed, but this is where I got the information from: http://skiingbc.info/pages/lifts-2089.php

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,721 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Resort Liability

that the resort is not held accountable for negligence which includes death via the ski lifts

I guess thats them trying to ward off unknowing folks? Has as much value as them saying on there that in addtion to them not being liable that you should pay them if you get hurt.

Ah the wb legal team! Lol

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Resort Liability

Not sure you'll need the Avilung...unless you are planning for some OB riding

Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Resort Liability

No out of bounds for me. I stay within the limits, but if I do happen to venture through the trees that are inbound... I'll have it at the ready.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,355 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Resort Liability

I'd read up on the YAN debacle a while ago, and think I remember reading that all the lifts had been either replaced or reworked. In other words you should be safe, but to be really sure you'd have to do a search.

I think an avalung is overkill for in-bounds powder tree-skiing. (But since you have it...) The odds of you suffocating in a tree well are pretty small, even in deep-powder BC. I've skied lots of BC powder, and only once did anybody ever get trapped under a tree - and they had no problem with breathing, just with the rest of us laughing at him.

I know you weren't planning to, but I don't recommend an avalung as a confidence-booster for out-of-bounds riding. Some 30% of people caught in avalanches are dead by the time the snow stops moving; it's a rough tumble.