We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secondary Lift Ticket Market

baltimore
5 posts
Save Topic
Secondary Lift Ticket Market

During my trip to Whistler last year, I was approached by vacationers on two separate days to buy their lift ticket for that day. Is this common? I'm wondering if I should risk not purchasing the pre-sale price in lieu of testing the secondary market hanging out around the ticket counters. I'm sure this is frowned upon by the mountain, but is it illegal? Are there websites or specific locations in the village that bring the supply and demand together? In most cases, people had purchased a three day pass and didn't want to use the 3rd day.

Thanks in Advance

NYC, USA
Level Contributor
156 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secondary Lift Ticket Market

I can't speak to Whistler specifically, but this is not at all uncommon. As long as you can be certain that the ticket is still active for that (or the following) day, it would be remarkable if a ticket checker would ask you for ID to reconcile the purchaser.

No doubt it's "illegal", but there's really no damage to anyone involved in the transaction(s). Just be careful of the ticket specifics, i.e., there are multi day tickets that allow for skiing 3 of 4 consecutive days (and other multi day iterations). If that ticket were used on 3 days, it will still have an expiration date on the 4th day, but the ticket will have already been invalidated without your knowing it.

Edited: 28 February 2013, 16:51
baltimore
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Secondary Lift Ticket Market

Thanks for the heads up. I wouldn't have thought of that.

I'm not trying to rip anyone off. Simply trying to operate safely in a free market. I guess this forum is mostly managed by resort employees instead of helpful locals and/or travelers.

Shropshire, England
Level Contributor
396 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secondary Lift Ticket Market

On the contrary this forum is mostly manned by travellers and locals with specific knowledge of the resort and with an interest to pass their knowledge to those planning a visit.

There are also professionals making postings - but they will tell you who they are. Marie from Tourism Whistler posts some very good replies.

I have been to Whistler for more than 20 weeks skiing and I have never been offered tickets from other tourists, Tickets are not transferable and I would imagine that both seller and purchaser would face sanctions if these transactions came to light.

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secondary Lift Ticket Market

I've never heard of a regular place where people resell (ie Craig's List). I purchased a ticket once in Utah this way and was later told I probably bought a stolen ticket--apparently employee thefts of single day tickets are epidemic there, and then they resell for the cash. In general I would worry it was a fake, though that may be overly paranoid. I did buy fake tickets outside a Seattle Mariners game once, so that colors my viewpoint.

All that said, you get the best lift ticket prices by buying in advance--through your lodging, through the Whistler website. I have an Edge Card but even if I didn't, I would never pay ticket window prices. So, regardless of the ethics/legality of buying someone's ticket, I'd make sure I was set with tickets before I came.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,763 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secondary Lift Ticket Market

whistlerblackcomb.com/tickets-and-passes/sea…

Very ordinary people post on this forum, like me. Just did a quick Google search for reselling Whistler passes, which you can read linked above, taken from the Whistler Blackcomb website.

Edited: 28 February 2013, 21:52
baltimore
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Secondary Lift Ticket Market

I hear ya. I would happily purchase advance tickets if whistler weather wasn't so hit or miss. The forecast changes daily. It's not like whistler is going to give me my money back if their mountain isn't rideable.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
466 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secondary Lift Ticket Market

"It's not like whistler is going to give me my money back if their mountain isn't rideable".

I doubt the hill is going to become 'unrideable' from one day to the next. The conditions might not be ideal, but you can still ride, which is why they don't give you a refund. That's also why you pay a premium to buy daily tickets, to be sure you actually want to ride on any given day.

I think this 'reselling' can happen anywhere. I was approached by someone in Chamonix last year, since his friend had injured himself, and he didn't want to ski alone. I was really sceptical, but I paid him for the ticket, and he went with me right up to the lift to ensure that I could actually get in with it. It ended up being a great deal!

Edited: 01 March 2013, 19:00
Toronto
Level Contributor
392 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Secondary Lift Ticket Market

The practice is not illegal (in the sense that you are not breaking any laws) but is contrary to the terms of the pass or lift ticket, so Whistler would have the contractual right to cancel the pass.

Also, keep in mind all passes and lift tckets are now bar coded and can be cancelled remotely. If you lose your pass and you have the receipt, Whistler can cancel you lost pass and issue you a new one. Also because passes are now generated electronically they cannot be stolen by employees.

BTW years ago we bought passes to Disney World from a guy in the parking lot. They were 5 day passes with 3 days lft on them. Saved us a bit of money.

baltimore
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Secondary Lift Ticket Market

So just an update after the fact. Snagged 2 one day passes from an employee off of Craigslist for 50 each. Was sceptical but it worked out and was a great deal for a great day. Maid me feel better about paying 120 for a terrible day on sat.

10. Re: Secondary Lift Ticket Market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2014, 06:17