We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is service awful everywhere in Whistler?

Which Whistler hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
160 reviews
Save Topic
Is service awful everywhere in Whistler?

Just returned from 2 weeks in Whistler. Service was generally poor in most restaurants. Is someone taking note? Is someone doing something to ensure guests are welcomed and well looked after? Shame as in shops and lifties were all great...

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is service awful everywhere in Whistler?

Many of the Best & Brightest staff leave @ the end of March/beginning of April they hit the road back to Oz or Kiwilandia or the UK or onward on world straddling journeys.

I've noticed what you experienced in the IGA grocery store-the formerly cheery staff are replace by sullen locals who seem to hate being @ work and try hard to ignore customers.

Perth, WA
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is service awful everywhere in Whistler?

Thanks for clearing that up Sam. We go every January for two weeks and are always blown away by how good the service is in almost all the restaurants, and that includes local staff. I guess we go at the right time for service!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is service awful everywhere in Whistler?

Service across Canada versus say US is very hit and miss. Most servers now expect 15% irrespective of levels. Point blank people need to speak up. I do. Bad service and I'll let you or the manager know. Same goes for good service as well.

hartlepool, united...
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is service awful everywhere in Whistler?

Haha does this mean I've got bad service to look forward to when we go in June? Its ok, Im English so Im used to it :) And Im not afraid to speak up either...

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is service awful everywhere in Whistler?

i understand that whister is "the" place to go for skiing...i have never enjoyed the "village"....overpriced and just generally....not too friendly. my "two cents".

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,924 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is service awful everywhere in Whistler?

I'm not excusing it, because anyone who takes pride in themselves and their work can dig deeper and find a way to be professional no matter what, but in resort towns where there is a busy season, staff do generally wind up pretty worn out by season's end. I'm sure that's partly the situation in Whistler at this time of year. Also at season's end, when many of the staff will be moving on to other places (especially Whistler, where so many are from overseas, on working holiday visas...), there are an awful lot of good-bye parties ... and a lot of young people dragging their hungover selves into work the next day. ;-)

Suz, you'll be here early in the season, so hopefully you will only experience good service!

hartlepool, united...
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is service awful everywhere in Whistler?

Ahh good stuff, cheers! Roll on end of June, I can not wait :)

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
685 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is service awful everywhere in Whistler?

To be fair to the majority of servers in Whistler, in our experience over the last 7 consecutive years we've been visiting Whistler in both Summer and Winter (two weeks at a time) service is generally good.

I like to think we have reasonably high standards, but in that time we've only felt the need to complain or reduce the tip on 3 occasions.

The main gripe are the prices, but we go every year knowing that in advance - it's part and parcel of going to one of the best resorts in the world.

Coming from the UK, I know what bad service looks like.

So in answer to the OP, no service isn't awful everywhere in Whistler.

Edited: 15 April 2013, 12:42
Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
699 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is service awful everywhere in Whistler?

Hi Marie here at Tourism Whistler

Winksie - It would be great if you could provide some more details of where you had the poor service?

The Whistler Chamber of Commerce does goes to great lengths to ensure great service in Whistler. They run a number of programs including the ServeUs Challenge - a comprehensive customer service reviewing program.

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is service awful everywhere in Whistler?

interesting thread. I've never had an issue with service, and we go 4 times a year (not generally this late though), but I understand what some people are saying about end of the season/worn out employees/best employees move on to other things. I've heard of the same thing at the end of the season in resort towns and national parks. I would shoot an email to the managers of each restaurant, to let them know what's going on.

Edited: 15 April 2013, 18:43