We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights in whistler - daytime activities

Which Whistler hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
2 nights in whistler - daytime activities

Hi

I would love your help with planning our itinerary for roughly two days in Whistler. We will be arriving around 11.30am on 1st Aug, spending two nights in the Delta Whistler Village Suites and leaving around 3pm on 3rd Aug. "We" are hubby and myself (early fifties, reasonably fit) and 20 year old son. We will have arrived from the UK in Vancouver on 31st July.

My thoughts so far are:

1st Aug : hire bikes and explore the lakes /valley trail - have a swim - maybe rent a canoe. Back to hotel and out for an early-ish dinner (still a bit jet-lagged)

2nd Aug - go up to either Whistler/ Blackcomb - hike around (? two-three hours??). Catch the Peak to Peak Gondola. Dinner at the Friday evening BBQ. Back down in the Whistler Village Gondola.

3rd Aug - explore the village - shopping?

Any comments/advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,750 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 nights in whistler - daytime activities

Hi Jane ~

I see your party has shrunk to 3. Ah those young adults!

Perhaps your plane is getting in late on the 31st, but is there some reason you will not hop on Pacific Coach Lines at the airport and head straightaway to Whistler? No driving involved. Just a thought.

www.pacificcoach.com

IMO, the Squamish Lil'wat Cultural Centre is a very good introduction to the First Nations of the area. I believe they do a docent led tour on the hour which would enhance the experience. Part of Aug 3rd.

I wonder if ziplining would appeal? Or the bear tour with Michael Allen? I understand the early morning time is the better plan.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g154948-d3…

Edited: 12 May 2013, 21:29
Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 nights in whistler - daytime activities

Hi.

We're 3 in Whistler and then 5 in Vancouver when we travel back there on the 3rd. I know, I'm finding it hard to keep up with arrangements too!!! I guess that's why I'm trying to plan ahead a bit. Although their plans may change .....

Anyway thanks very much for the info. I'll look into those.

Would you recommend hiking around Blackcomb ( ie up Blakcomb, hike and then peak 2Peak to Whistler) or up Blackcomb, P 2P to Whistler Mountain and hike around there? And how long will I need to allow for this if we want to be at the BBQ by 5pm?

Thanks again

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,750 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 nights in whistler - daytime activities

tripadvisor.com/…49118492

Please have a look at post #1 in a recent thread on the Whistler forum linked above. It will outline the time needed to go up one mountain and down the other. And Marie from Whistler Tourism will be in to work shortly and will give you the straight goods.

Edited: 13 May 2013, 08:55
Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
697 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 nights in whistler - daytime activities

Hi Marie here at Tourism Whistler

Your plan for the 2 days in Whistler looks great!

There are great hikes on both Whistler and Blackcomb Mountains. I would do one of these options:

Option 1: Blackcomb Mountain trails

Upload from the base of Blackcomb Mountain via the Wizard Chairlift and Solar Coaster chairlifts to the Rendezvous Lodge. The lifts open at 10am. Allow 35-40 mins to get to the top.

Hike the Overlord Trail - 7.5 kms round trip. Allow 2-3 hours. You can add the Lakeside Loop and Decker Loop onto this hike.

You will have ample time to ride the Peak 2 Peak gondola over to Whistler Mountain and be there for the start of the BBQ at 5pm. After the BBQ you will download on the Whistler Village Gondola - so you will experience the full round trip.

Option 2: Whistler Mountain trails

You can upload from the base of Blackcomb Mountain or Whistler Village.

I would suggest the High Note Trail hike - 5kms. Allow 3-4 hours for the loop. Again this will give you ample time to ride the Peak 2 Peak gondola and have the BBQ

For more information on the hiking trails you can visit: http://www.whistler.com/hiking/

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 nights in whistler - daytime activities

Thank you so much for all your help. That's been really useful and I now have a clearer picture of how we'll spend the Friday. The maps are great!

Final question: do we need to book the barbecue in advance/ when we arrive in Whistler/ not at all??

Many thanks

Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
697 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 nights in whistler - daytime activities

I would suggest booking in advance. The BBQ can sell out especially if there are groups attending. You can purchase tickets online. - Marie

7. Re: 2 nights in whistler - daytime activities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2014, 06:18