We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I get the best value ski passes for this scenario?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
How do I get the best value ski passes for this scenario?

We have booked to go to Whistler for 10 days next year. Our first ski day is 30 March, but the lift pass prices go right down on 31st. I want to take advantage of the offer that ends on 31 Aug and book them through our Tour Operator. A 10-day pass starting on 30 March will cost us £342 more as a family than a 9-day pass starting the following day. As we are 2 adults, 2 teens and one child, this also incorporates Kids Ski Free, so we are only paying for four passes. I have emailed WB and the only info they are able to give me at this stage is their anticipated window price for a 1-day pass. With an exchange rate similar to today's, this would give us a saving of about £100 - buying five one-day passes at the window for the 30th rather than the 10-day pass.

So, it would be beneficial to us to go for the 9-day pass to start on 31st, but what I would like to know is what is the best way for us to get tickets for the 30th. All this on the understanding that we will be paying for five of us, not four (no free kids), the exchange rate is unknown, and the pass prices are not yet set in stone. I suppose my question really is - is there any way of getting a discount for a one-day pass if bought in advance (ie through our rep)?

Most grateful for any thoughts.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,733 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do I get the best value ski passes for this scenario?

You can buy ski lift tickets for ONE day at the 7 - 11 convenience store in Squamish! Good deals, but you must remember to buy them on the way TO Whistler.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do I get the best value ski passes for this scenario?

Thanks - I'd read about this option - how easy is it to do? We will be flying in from the UK and a bit dozey! We'll be getting a private transfer up to Whistler so in theory could stop on the way up. Is the 7-11 right there, next to the highway? Quick and easy? There will be a balance between hassle factor (for us, right at that time, with three tired kids) and the saving we'll make.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,733 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do I get the best value ski passes for this scenario?

forlocations.ca/7eleven-squamish-hours-locat…

There are two of them in this list, #1 and #2. Use google maps to see where they are located. If you have a private shuttle, they may very well stop for you.

Maybe the kids will fall asleep on the way???

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,091 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do I get the best value ski passes for this scenario?

The 7-Eleven at Squamish is very easy, just at the main intersection of the highway and the turn off onto Cleveland Ave, the main street into downtown Squamish. There is a McDonald's adjacent and the 7-Eleven is the business inside the building for the Esso gas station.

Here's a map, FYI, from the south to the main intersection and into the Esso station. A = the bridge over the Mamquam slough; B is not the entrance; C = the entrance; D is the 7-Eleven and Esso station. Zoom the map out for a different perspective.

http://goo.gl/maps/rRes1

To leave the property and continue north on 99:

http://goo.gl/maps/G8NT5

Here's the street view. You can move forward down the street by clicking on the white google-made chevron on the pavement. When you get to the middle of the intersection, you can choose the left facing chevron to turn left, then the north facing chevron to go right into McDonalds. I am just laughing out loud because google has actually done a wee tour of the property. They know the significance of this "corner" for people going to Whistler. Food, bathrooms, snacks/drinks/coffee and gas all with easy access and parking. Oh, and ski passes too! But the google car has gone in the exit, around counter clockwise, down the one way access the opposite way and out the entrance. Coming out the entrance will not provide eastbound access onto Cleveland and back to Hwy 99. Clearly the naughty corner for the driver!! Who knows what your driver will do, ha ha.

http://goo.gl/maps/MYwMW

Edited: 01 August 2013, 18:19
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do I get the best value ski passes for this scenario?

Any other Whistler pros able to advise on this? Apart from the 7-11 option, is there any way of getting discounted one-day passes? Is it possible by buying them a day/2 days/ a week in advance? As our tour operator has a rep there this will be possible, and obviously much easier for us to have them waiting than for us to have to stop off... I just want to be able to cost this out, since the leap between the season dates is so significant. Thanks!

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,012 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do I get the best value ski passes for this scenario?

whistler-vacation-tips.com/whistler-tickets.…

While googling around I found this web site which may be of some help. You can buy 7-11 tickets in advance and at any 7-11 so your rep's person here should be able to pick them up for you if that's the best solution. There's even a 7-11 at yvr in domestic so one of your party could nip over there if all else fails. About a 3 minute walk from international arrivals

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,091 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How do I get the best value ski passes for this scenario?

I think you have to be a bit careful about the 7-Eleven thing. Not all 7-Elevens sell them which is why the Squamish one consistently pops up about this. I just phoned the YVR 7-Eleven and they do not sell them. From previously looking in to this, I believe select 7-Elevens in VANCOUVER sell them. It's a good idea to phone a store first to see. And I believe discount options are few.

I think when you go through that flow chart fun in T47's link, you will pretty much come back to the beginning again - the 7-Eleven in Squamish, on the way to Whistler on the day of.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How do I get the best value ski passes for this scenario?

Thank you so much, I really appreciate the time you've spent on this for me. You've provided a really comprehensive solution!, thanks.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,012 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How do I get the best value ski passes for this scenario?

Mufti thanks for checking the 7-11 at yvr. i know the local 7-11 here sells the tickets during season ( or used to) as previously have ppurchased for DD. Assumed if one here sold them then others would as well. It appears that the YVR and Whistler 7-11's are the ones that Do NOT sell the discount tickets.

I also just found this which is woth checking out to see how the cost compares for your group

It's tickets trhough the Canadian Ski Council

whistler-vacation-tips.com/discount-whistler…

10. Re: How do I get the best value ski passes for this scenario?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2014, 05:16