We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excercise program to prepare for trip?

Chicago
Level Contributor
61 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Excercise program to prepare for trip?

Does anyone have a specific excercise program that they use to prepare for a ski trip? I have 4 months until my trip to Whistler. I currently do not do any type of workout. I know that anything will be better than nothing, and that cardio and leg focused excercises will work, but I was hoping that someone has a specific documented "training program" that I could follow. I'm hoping to be able to enjoy not only my first day of skiing, but also the third and fourth days!

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Whistler
Whistler
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
9,212 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Excercise program to prepare for trip?

Definitely practise filling your wallet to the brim and emptying it rapidly-polishing credit cards can help too.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
29,641 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excercise program to prepare for trip?

Great idea. You will certainly enjoy those long runs more if you are fit enough to enjoy them. I just went into You Tube and ran a search for "Ski training" and several came up. You might also try a consultation with a personal trainer at your local fitness centre. They can give you a program to follow in one session, which you can then do on your own, so it wouldn't cost too much.

As you don't do any exercises now, it is quite possible to hurt yourself if you over do it or try exercises that are too strenuous. Working with a trainer, at least occasionally, will ensure you are doing your exercises correctly and safely (and it makes a HUGE difference when you are doing exercises correctly. Just a slight adjustment on the angle of the knee or the position of the pelvis can completely change the exercise) and will provide a work out at the correct level for you.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
29,641 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excercise program to prepare for trip?

LOL Sam. Love your comic relief. :)

Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
714 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Excercise program to prepare for trip?

Squats and lunges!

Watch this great video.

whistler.com/blog/…ski-season-exercise.aspx

-Marie

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
5,215 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excercise program to prepare for trip?

I agree that if you google, you'll find tons of exercises. There's no one best program, and anything is better than nothing. Besides the usual exercises--squats, lunges, balance exercises--a lot of us swear by Pilates for the core as well. My gym has ski conditioning classes and the trainers are familiar with ski exercises; I bet even in Chicago you can find a gym/trainer that can help you.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Excercise program to prepare for trip?

Bald Face Lodge has a great conditioning program that I followed a couple of years ago. Not sure if it is still on their site but lots of lunges, squats, etc

7. Re: Excercise program to prepare for trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2014, 06:18