We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping in Whistler (ski instructor & restaurants)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping in Whistler (ski instructor & restaurants)

I will have a private ski instructor, solo, for 3 days. I will be shouting their lunch. Assuming the service is good, what would be an appropriate tip total at the end of the 3 days?

And leading from that question, recommended percentage for tips at bars & restaurants?

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,488 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping in Whistler (ski instructor & restaurants)

Ski instructor-10% of total-cash

Restaurants 15% before tax-remember there's tax on your bill you need not tip on that.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,972 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping in Whistler (ski instructor & restaurants)

Oh goody!! A tipping thread!!

I would say that you will tip 15% (or more according to some, I tend to stick with that) for table service, but just round up if you picking up your own drinks or food.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping in Whistler (ski instructor & restaurants)

Like v67, yippee a tipping thread!!!!!! Reticient to get involved but ....

I am surprised to learn you tip a ski instructor especially when you buy lunch.

Tipping is such a complex and personal thing. I am never always sure when to tip and how much. There never seems to be rhyme nor reason.

I am now in quandary about tipping the drywallers, tilers and contractors I have hired in the past few months. Unsure of the difference between them and a ski instructor?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping in Whistler (ski instructor & restaurants)

Straightforward. Appreciated.

Edited: 22 December 2013, 22:13
Perth and Kinross...
Level Contributor
688 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping in Whistler (ski instructor & restaurants)

Each to their own but on the many years we've been hiring instructors at whistler we've tipped.

Not are they paid a relatively small wage from the large fee charged by Whistler Blackcomb, they tend to be a dedicated band of people who do it more for the love of skiing than the money.

No matter what level of skiing we've been at over the years, we tend to take lessons to refresh the memory and to progress to the next level. This usually equates to 3 or 4 one day lessons during our two week stay. As we take Max 4 (formerly Super Group) lessons, we get a very intense tuition often in excess of the duration we've paid for.

For this we'd usually tip $100 to $150 Canadian for the two of us.

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping in Whistler (ski instructor & restaurants)

I have friends that instruct at Whistler and they have told me tips are very much appreciated (I agree 10% is about right; they advised me that for group lessons, $20 per day is good). But, they've also told me a lot of Canadians don't tip them, so the poster above who is surprised is not alone.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,786 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping in Whistler (ski instructor & restaurants)

But, they've also told me a lot of Canadians don't tip them,

-----------

Call it a Canadian thing...not sure I would ever tip a ski instructer. Seems gauche

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,972 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping in Whistler (ski instructor & restaurants)

(and we're off.....)

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,987 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping in Whistler (ski instructor & restaurants)

Earlier this year: tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154948-i400-k62018…

10. Re: Tipping in Whistler (ski instructor & restaurants)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2014, 05:16