We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westin or Pan Pacific Mountainside???

Seattle
5 posts
Save Topic
Westin or Pan Pacific Mountainside???

We are planning a trip to Whistler in mid-August and are trying to decide between the Westin and the Pan Pacific Mountainside (my guess is that it is 6 of one and half dozen of another...). For the room classes we are looking at, it looks like the Westin may be better, as I am a bit skeptical about the Murphy beds at the Pan Pacific. This is our first anniversary, and we are hoping to spend some days sitting by the pool reading, and while neither of the pool areas looks overly fantastic, the Pan Pacific looks slightly more inviting. And thus we have our dilema. If you have any advice on the beds at the Pan Pacific or the pool at either place, it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you happen to know a good spa for a couples massage, that would be great, at this point, it sounds like the FOur Seasons would be better than the Westin for the spa.

Vancouver Island, BC
Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Westin or Pan Pacific Mountainside???

Those are the two hotels that I have stayed in at Whistler. If we are comparing the studio suite at the Pan Pacific and the junior suite at the Westin, my preference would be the Pan Pacific. I'll give you some reasons, so you know where I am coming from.

1)The murphy bed at the Pan Pacific is the same as any of the other beds in the hotel. It was totally comfortable and not at all like sleeping on a pull out. You can put the bed up into the wall during the day which gives you tons of space in the main living area.

2)The Pan Pacific has a full kitchen area; full-size fridge, dishwasher, stove with oven, microwave, sink, plenty of counter space. It also has a dining room table and chairs, plus a living area with a gas fireplace. It is not your typical hotel room (definitely more like a small apartment), whereas the Westin is decidedly more like a hotel room. The Westin has a nook across from the bathroom with the kitchen facilities, but everything else is contained in one rectangular room. Both rooms had nice soaker tubs. All in all, I decided that I could easily live at the Pan Pacific. :)

3)The room at the Pan Pacific had a balcony, whereas the room I had at the Westin did not.

4)The Westin charges you $20 a day for a "daily resort fee", i.e. to use their pool facilities, get packages of coffee in your room, etc. I am pretty sure the Pan Pacific does not charge a fee like this (at least when I was there last year they didn't).

5)I had a massage at the Westin and it was very nice, but I can't compare it to the Pan Pacific (or anywhere else), because I didn't try their spa services.

6)The Westin has an indoor and outdoor jacuzzi and the pool is partially indoors (small portion) and the majority outdoors. You can swim from inside to outside. The Pan Pacific has two outdoor jacuzzis and an outdoor pool. Both hotels have their pools on the second floor out on a terrace, and both of them are nice. What I really liked about the Pan Pacific pool area is that it faced the mountain, so you could sit in the jacuzzi and watch the mountain bikers come down the mountainside. The Westin has a nicer gym, compared to the Pan Pacific.

7)While the Westin is still in the village, I prefer the location of the Pan Pacific.

That is all that I can think of at the moment. I haven't posted a review on tripadvisor, as I am still fairly new here. I do have a few candid photos of the room at the Pan Pacific, if you are interested in seeing them. I should also have some from the Westin, but I will have to take a look. I guess it just wasn't that memorable, because I had to look on the website to actually recall what the room looked like! Anyway, just post an email address and I will send them off to you. Thanks!

Vancouver Island, BC
Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Westin or Pan Pacific Mountainside???

The daily resort fee at the Westin is actually $13 per day during the summer and $20 during the winter. Sorry about that!

Seattle
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Westin or Pan Pacific Mountainside???

Canuck 11, thank you so much for your detailed post, it was probably the most informative post I have read on any travel site. I greatly appreciate the time you took to reply.

4. Re: Westin or Pan Pacific Mountainside???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 14:20