We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Performance/Demo Ski Rentals or Sport/Beginner Ski Rentals?

Olathe, KS
Level Contributor
62 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Performance/Demo Ski Rentals or Sport/Beginner Ski Rentals?

Family of 4 hopefully coming to Whistler in Mid March.

Decent skiers - we have normally used our own equipment (Older stuff) and I'm trying to determine if we need performance equipment or sport equipment.

We can get down anything for the most part, but we do ok on blue to easier black runs in Colorado. Can handle some bumps and really steep runs, but I'm not very good at Steep & Bumpy anymore.

Is it worth the extra $ for the performance ski's?

Your advice is appreciated.

Flatlander

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,179 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Performance/Demo Ski Rentals or Sport/Beginner Ski Rentals?

Ask the rental operator when you get there. Tey will know the mountain and will be familiar with their own equipment.

NYC, USA
Level Contributor
156 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Performance/Demo Ski Rentals or Sport/Beginner Ski Rentals?

Interesting question. We usually bring our equipment because we are so accustomed to it. This is the first year we are renting. In our case we are renting demo skis which, I believe is the top level of the 3 typically rented. We're doing this because we found the same skis as ours from one vendor.

That being said, I think you need to consider how comfortable you are with your "old" equipment. Depending on how "old" it is, you may find new equipment to be a fantastic change that will both enhance your ability and enjoyment. But it's obviously more expensive than bringing your own, especially as you move up in the equipment range. Take a look at the available skis in each grouping and search some of the ski review websites to determine which seem to best suit your ability and the slope types you most enjoy. That may help you determine which equipment range you will choose.

Bring your own boots if they are decent.

Hope that helps.

PS- Most of the rental vendors will allow you to change skis during your stay, so you can likely move up in range if you're not satisfied. You can also change to suit the conditions.

Olathe, KS
Level Contributor
62 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Performance/Demo Ski Rentals or Sport/Beginner Ski Rentals?

Thanks for the feedback.

I have heard that the performance ski's perform better in the heavy powder.

If you just going to ski easier groomed runs the sport ski's will suffice.

I liked your idea about swapping out after a day to try a few different kids out.

Thanks

gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,447 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Performance/Demo Ski Rentals or Sport/Beginner Ski Rentals?

Basically performance skiis if you carve your turns and sport if you skid your turns.

5. Re: Performance/Demo Ski Rentals or Sport/Beginner Ski Rentals?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2015, 07:23