We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer visit with small family

Arlington Heights...
1 post
Save Topic
Summer visit with small family

We are planning a 1 week visit to Whistler the week of June 28-July 5, 2014. We are two adults, a 9 year old and 6 year old boy. We have never been to Whistler, and we can't decide where to book a townhouse or house. While we like to be a little out of the crowds, we like the ability to take a quick bike ride, hike, or car trip to get to town- store, parks, etc. Nightlife and lots of restaurants not needed- we cook most meals. The purpose of our trip is to relax but we like at least one activity a day and honestly, I'd be thrilled with a nice porch and a view, but my kids would probably like access to a pool or lake. There are a lot of subdivisions and villages and its hard to know what's what. Anyone have some advice?

Also, are there any festivals or must-dos this time of year?

And, any tips for grocery or restaurant with gluten free?

Thanks!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
26,983 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer visit with small family

Welcome to Trip Advisor!

Please let us know if you are familiar with VRBO. It is great way to rent directly from an owner. That way you know exactly which unit you are getting.

Another great one that we have used specifically for Whistler is allura direct.

http://www.alluradirect.com/whistler/

Again, you are looking at the pictures of a specific place.

For groceries, there is an IGA, and they have a lot of selection, as it is pretty much a full size grocery store.

The dates you have chosen cover the Canada Day weekend (July 1st), and July 4th, for our neighbours to the south. So it will be busy up there.

Lots and lots of restaurant choices for Whistler. A very large part of Whistler Village is pedestrian traffic only. Easy to walk around.

Also, have you had an opportunity to look at the links on the right side of this page? Blue letters.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
26,983 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer visit with small family

vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…

I forgot to give you the link for vrbo! I plunked in your dates, but I didn't add any filters. You can put in how may bedrooms you want, hot tub, fireplace or???

Have fun playing around with it! The most important thing with booking with vrbo, is to PHONE the owners, as well as e-mailing them.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
4,230 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer visit with small family

As J0an123 points out, Allura Direct and VRBO are excellent sources. Also AirBnB:

https://www.airbnb.com/…

Whistler is a mainly pedestrian village and if you stay within the general area of the Village, you'll be able to walk everywhere. Also, there are lots of bike rental places and you can bike everywhere as well. There is an extensive pathway system that you will enjoy for riding around and seeing the sights.

As for location, give what you have described, I would choose either the Blackcomb Benchlands also known as Upper Village (will be a little further from the village) or Village North. I would not stay on Creekside as it is isolated from all the attractions.

In Village North, I would look at Sunpath, Lagoons or Northstar. These are townhouse complexes. Condos in other parts of Village North are above retail so can be a little noisier and "within the crowds".

Tons of places on the Blackcomb Benchlands which will be quiet as well.

The Whistler Blackcomb website has an excellent map of accommodations. This will help you see where things are.

whistlerblackcomb.com/plan-your-trip/accommo…

Edited: 22 March 2014, 03:52
4. Re: Summer visit with small family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2015, 05:20