We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whistler in October 2014

Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Whistler in October 2014

Hi there - looking to travel with 2 dogs in October. Early October/before Thanksgiving weekend. What would still be open? Heard the P2P will be closed (as of Sept 22) and the regular gondola only open on weekends. Is the Olympic Center open? What are some good hikes that are not too hard, but not too easy? Trying to make sure that staying 4 nights there in early October is worth the drive from Alberta and worth the money and effort. We do love the mountains as a rule but have never been to Whistler. We know Jasper and Banff well and love it there. Staying at the Fairmont.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
698 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whistler in October 2014

Whistler in October can be a bit dreary not all the restaurants will be open but staying at the Fairmont will probably make up for that. Not sure if the Olympic Center will be open the conceige will be able to help you with hikes just pack rain gear .........

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
125 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whistler in October 2014

We travelled to Whistler in Oct 2012 - I thought it was beautiful. I was disappointed that the P2P was only open on weekends (it had closed the week before we arrived) but we found plenty to do. The ziplining and quadbiking was still operating.

We hiked to Nairn falls - it was a short hike, but is worth stopping in, especially if you are driving past that way (we were travelling from Whistler to Banff).

Enjoy your stay!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,172 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whistler in October 2014

Whistler's a year round resort with a permanent residence, so I would imagine that restaurants stay open year round. Maybe Marie at Tourism Whistler can confirm otherwise? From my experience, October can still be summery, especially earlier in month. It's November is when the seasonal rains truly kick in. For hikes, if you include the nearby Garibaldi Provincial Park and Joffre Lakes Provincial Park, you'll have plenty of hiking opportunities for 4 days - it would be the tail end of alpine hiking season. Check out www.vancouvertrails.com for specific hiking recommendations.

Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
701 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Whistler in October 2014

The restaurants will be open - some may reduce hours after the Thanksgiving long weekend. Early October can be beautiful - the last 2 years have been sunny and cool - perfect for fall hiking and bike riding. The Whistler Village Gondola will be open on the weekends until October 13, so you can still access the hiking trails on Whistler Mountain.

Whistler Mountain Bike Park will be open daily until October 13.

Other things to do in early October

- Squamish Lil'wat Cultural Centre

- Scandinave Spa

- Golf (courses open until October 13)

- Ziplining

- ATV tours

- X-country bike trails

- Exploring the Valley trail and lakes

- Art galleries

- Shopping and exploring the Village

- Bear viewing tours (until Oct 31)

- Canoe/kayak on the lakes or River of Golden Dreams

- Farmers market on Sundays until Oct 12

-Marie

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whistler in October 2014

Starting to head into shoulder season but you should be ok. Lots of hikes, bikes,etc....

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Whistler in October 2014

Be sure to drop down to Squamish & see Salmon spawning in the Squamish & Cheakamus rivers especially @ the Bailey Bridge on the Cheakamus.

Toronto
Level Contributor
55 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whistler in October 2014

Hi all,

From what I can gather it seems if I take a daytrip to Whistler in the last week of October will be limited. I know the Peak2Peak is closed and I believe the Whistler Gondola is closed too? Which leaves the lower village being the only site open?

Is it still worth the drive at this point? I was originally planning on coming here instead of Grouse Mountain (pricey).

Thanks

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Whistler in October 2014

Do the drive to Squamish & back and try this gondola instead.

http://www.seatoskygondola.com/

Toronto
Level Contributor
55 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whistler in October 2014

It looks perfect thanks a ton!

10. Re: Whistler in October 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2015, 05:15