We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time to hike Joffre Lakes?

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
390 reviews
Save Topic
How much time to hike Joffre Lakes?

We are spending two nights in Whistler this August and want to hike Joffre Lakes on our one full day. I read on the Joffre Lakes web site that the new trail is open between the upper two lakes. I take it this is a nice improvement? We are usually in no hurry when hiking, trying to soak in all the area has to offer. I am wondering how much time we should put aside for this hike?

Would we also have time to ride the peak 2 peak gondola the same day? We would have the following morning if needed, as we are heading to Vancouver after Whistler.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,172 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much time to hike Joffre Lakes?

I've always wanted to hike Joffre Lakes, but haven't. However, take a look at the Vancouver Trails website, written by a local who mapped out every hike in the region and broke it down into its details. You can also read the comments that people have left after hiking it, as it might give you a better sense of what to expect: www.vancouvertrails.com/trails/joffre-lakes/

Here's also the Top 5 tips for Joffre Lakes: vancouvertrails.com/blog/…

Based on the info, it sounds like 5 hours would be the minimum amount of time you'd want to spend. I'd probably see how you felt when you got back to Whistler after the hike. If Peak 2 Peak is open later in the day, then you'd have time.

Edited: 01 May 2014, 21:12
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,073 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much time to hike Joffre Lakes?

I did Joffre a long time ago. It was a tough climb, and while I've never been the fittest hiker, I would say it would be pretty gruelling to try and get to all three lakes in one day. We did it as an overnight and so were quite loaded up, and I'd say it took us about 7 hours just to get to the third lake. We did see people who were arriving at the third lake after we got there and were still planning to return to the parking lot the same day. I would think it would be twilight by the time they got back.

I would say the estimate of 5 hours is one way, not return, to the third lake.

(Robyn - get there if you can. I thought it was amazing, but then, maybe I was hallucinating by the time we got to the top!)

Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
701 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How much time to hike Joffre Lakes?

It will take you about 1 hour to drive there from Whistler (it’s about 60 kms one way). The last time I hiked there was about 5 years ago :(. I understand there has been much improvement to the trail and for the average hiker it would probably take around 4-5 hours. It's absolutely stunning up there and my advice is not to rush it! Pack a picnic and enjoy the surroundings. I would not do the P2P on the same day and I don't think you would have time unless you want to hike in the evening. - Marie

Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
701 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How much time to hike Joffre Lakes?

Vancouverite67 - I remember it be challenging when I did it last and it took most of the day too! But from talking to friends who did it last year I understand they put a trail on top of those boulder fields? So you don't have to scramble as much. I think with the trail improvements you can do the hike much quicker - depending on fitness level of course.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,073 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much time to hike Joffre Lakes?

AH! that makes quite a difference. That boulder field was quite the obstacle. I dream of getting fit and doing this stuff again...it will come....

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,881 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much time to hike Joffre Lakes?

It's a full day even from Pemberton. You may wish to turn around at the rock field, or push ahead to the third lake. Depends on your time. Watch hard to spy pikas in the rock field, they dart around.

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much time to hike Joffre Lakes?

Thanks all, looking forward to it! In reading the 5 tips for the hike it sounds like significant trail improvements have been made. We'll head up after breakfast, pack a lunch to bring and hope for good weather.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much time to hike Joffre Lakes?

Have hiked and camped up Jofree 3 times...last time two years ago with my kids. Trail is well marked and the challenge is middle to upper via the boulder field. The hike is not long but going through the boulders takes time especially when you are behind someone in ballet slippers or flip flops.

Time from lot to Upper lake is maybe 3 hours or less and round trip is about 6 or less. All depends on how fit and how much gear your taking. It's not a long hike but vertical gain is good 1200ft and grade is 6.7%.

Drive from Whistler is about 1hour. Arrive early to avoid crowds and get a parking spot.

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much time to hike Joffre Lakes?

We hiked Joffre Lakes on Sunday and loved it! We wanted to do it on Saturday, but the weather was a little iffy. In stead we hung around Whistler, rode the peak to peak a couple times, plus we got to see the Red Bull Joyride at Crankworx. That town was rockin this weekend. I had no idea when making rezzy's a few months ago.

The new trail between the second and third lakes makes the last part a breeze. It also gives you great views of the river falls. We thought the toughest part was the vertical climb between lakes one and two. My wife was a little under the weather but gutted it out. It took us just about 5 hours which included several breaks and lunch at the upper lake.

Here are some pics our our terrific day at Joffre. The last 10 are from Duffy Lake.

https:/…

Edited: 21 August 2014, 04:20
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,073 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much time to hike Joffre Lakes?

Fabulous! You've inspired me to have another go at that one. I haven't done a lot of hiking, but that one was my favourite.

And you hit Crankworx! Yikes! That's a big weekend in Whistler. Lots of energy and atmosphere.