We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whistler vs. Victoria for Christmas

Sammamish...
Level Contributor
26 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Whistler vs. Victoria for Christmas

Hi there. My husband and I are quite torn between Whistler and Victoria to spend a week around Christmas holiday in with our two young kids, 3 and 4.5. We haven't been to either and have heard so many wonderful things about both. Of course, Whistler is a very popular winter destination, but we aren't skiers; we'll just probably play in the snow with the kids. Our apprehension is with the high probability of not good wintry drive and we have a minivan. Is it really quite tricky getting there (we're from Seattle)? On the other hand, will there be good amount of snow and plenty to do in Victoria for a week for our family around then? Thanks for your help!

Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
703 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Whistler vs. Victoria for Christmas

Two very different destinations. What is your budget? There will be a considerable difference in hotel prices - it is peak season in Whistler. The drive from Seattle to Whistler is straightforward. You will need winter tires or chains. If you do encounter a snow storm on the way up be prepared for a slow drive. The highway is well maintained, ploughed and salted. Unlikely to be snow in Victoria during Christmas. The climate is similar to Seattle.

Christmas in Whistler is very special. Lots to do for non-skiers and young children. The entire Village is decorated with Christmas lights. You can still experience the mountains by sightseeing on the Whistler Village Gondola and PEAK 2 PEAK Gondola. There is a free indoor activity area set up in the conference center during the holidays (bouncy castles, games, crafts etc.). The tube park is fun for families. Other activities would be sleigh rides, dog sledding and tree top adventures. - Marie

Vancouver
Level Contributor
698 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whistler vs. Victoria for Christmas

With children that age hands down Whistler they will have a blast but the cost for hotels at that time of year will be way more expensive in Whistler than Victoria. Still my kids favorite place, lots to do even if you don't ski.

What is your budget and we can make some suggestions.

Ali

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,136 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whistler vs. Victoria for Christmas

Why in the world do you think that there would be "plenty of snow" in Victoria? It's at sea level and its maybe 60 or 70 miles north of Issaquah.

There's a greater chance of snow in Issaquah than in Victoria in December

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,019 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whistler vs. Victoria for Christmas

Yeah, no snow in Victoria for Christmas. They do their flower count in Februrary....

Sammamish...
Level Contributor
26 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whistler vs. Victoria for Christmas

Thank you all for your responses. Truly appreciated. I did learn (almost) immediately after I posted this message that it doesn't snow in Victoria and didn't bother to edit it. We'll more likely end up going to Whistler as we'd love to experience white Christmas. It's obviously more renowned for a reason, right? :). And it sounds like the highways are manageable, which is more of a concern to us as we drive a minivan.

One more question though: which area (or village) should I be looking into if we want to be right in the heart of it all? I saw a vacation rental that's right across from the Olympics site; is it in the village center?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,744 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whistler vs. Victoria for Christmas

I think there's an article in the Top Questions to the right of this page about where to stay in Whistler.

Sammamish...
Level Contributor
26 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whistler vs. Victoria for Christmas

Got it, thanks a lot.

8. Re: Whistler vs. Victoria for Christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2015, 05:16