We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping

Bellmore, New York
Level Contributor
857 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping

We are driving up for the day from Vancouver, primarily for the scenery. Still we would like to spend a little time shopping. Is Whistler Village where we want to end up? Could you give us an address to plug into our GPS so we end up near parking, shopping and restaurants?

Would we want to be near Main Street? Gateway Drive? Whistler Way? We did download a map but it is hard to read. We see lots of parking off Blackcomb Way.

Any advice on what's best for a couple of hours would be great. Plan to be in Whistler on a Monday, mid-July.

Any suggestions for a moderate, casual lunch stop?

Thanks

Karen

Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
701 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping

I would suggest parking in the day lots 1-4 if you are planning on spending the day in Whistler. Lot 4 is free.

All the shops are on or just off the Village Stroll. You can walk top to bottom of the Village Stroll in 10-15 minutes.

Lots of lunch options in the Village - Caramba, Earls, Araxi.

If you are coming up the day - I would spend more than a couple of hours. The PEAK 2 PEAK gondola is a must do. You could spend the morning sightseeing, have lunch at the top of Whistler or Blackcomb Mountain and then spend the afternoon shopping. -Marie

Edited: 26 June 2014, 16:40
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,990 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping

taking the Peak 2 PEAK IS a great attraction. There is also the new tram near Squamish up to chief. I haven't done it but the view would be great. If the weather is good p2p is definitely worth it.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,693 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping

Whistler is car free so once you park you just walk everywhere. There is a lower and an upper village..easy to walk between the two. As tourism said use the free day lot. There's also the Squamish Lil'wat Cultural Center which is worth a stop..

Bellmore, New York
Level Contributor
857 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping

Thanks!

We're figuring on around 2+ hours to drive up from Vancouver with stopping. Possibly a stop at the Cultural Center in Squamish. We'll look for parking lot #4 off Blackcomb way.

I have read the reviews on Peak2Peak but my height fears would have to be overcome before attempting this. Am I correct that it is around 25 minutes up to Whistler, another 25 minutes to Blackcomb and another 25 minutes down? Is it best to lunch in the village or on top of the mountain?

I'm sure the shopping is overpriced and sterile and that would not be our main objective for the day. Hoping that the scenic ride up and back from Vancouver will be worth the trip if I decide not to try the Peak2Peak.

Edited: 26 June 2014, 21:14
Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
701 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping

There is no cultural centre in Squamish. The Squamish Lil'wat Cultural Centre is located in Whistler - just opposite the Fairmont Chateau Whistler. You can walk to it from Lot 4. Definitely worth a visit and the gift shop and cafe are excellent.

25-30 minutes up the Whistler Village Gondola to the Roundhouse Lodge. 12 minutes on the PEAK 2 PEAK Gondola. Then another 25-30 minutes if you want to take the chairlifts back down Blackcomb Mountain.

The Whistler Village Gondola and PEAK 2 PEAK gondola are both enclosed. My mum who does not like heights felt quite comfortable in the gondolas. I would suggest not taking the chairlifts back down Blackcomb Mountain. Instead take the P2P back and the Whistler Village Gondola back down.

If you can have lunch at the top, you will not be disappointed. The views are spectacular. Christine’s in the Rendezvous Lodge on Blackcomb is amazing if you are looking for a special place for lunch.

There are brand stores in Whistler, but there are also some very unique stores - far from sterile. Too many to list but some of my personal favourites - Skitch (lots of local artisan gifts to be found in this store), some great clothing boutiques - OC2, jewellery - Ruby Tuesday, Keir and lots of outdoor clothing stores. For more info visit: http://www.whistler.com/shopping/

Edited: 26 June 2014, 22:06
Bellmore, New York
Level Contributor
857 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping

Thank you so much....that really helps our plans

Bellmore, New York
Level Contributor
857 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping

Would the Peak2Peak be the highest point in this trip?

Would merely taking the r/t gondola to Whistler be OK?

Thanks for the shopping tips.......glad to hear the variety includes some different choices.

Marty

Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
701 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping

The top of the Whistler Village Gondola (Roundhouse Lodge) is at the same elevation as the P2P Gondola station which is at 6,000 feet (1,850 metres). The highest point on the P2P gondola once you are travelling is 1,427 ft (436m) above the valley floor.

Yes you could just take the Whistler Gondola up. The ticket price would be the same as the P2P ticket. You could then decide once you are at the top if you want to take the P2P gondola. It is a very smooth ride - I think you will be fine. Maybe not go for the silver gondola which has a glass bottom. There are only 2 and there is separate line to ride this gondola.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,693 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping

Marty,

I feel your pain! We will be doing the P2P in July with company from Mexico I'm already terrified but plan to do it regardless..may even try to do the silver. Good to challenge one's fears at least once a year. Funny thing is I love small planes.. no problem.. but gondola's and glass elevators are a real adrenalin rush. Let us know what you do..expecting a trip report from you LOL

Bellmore, New York
Level Contributor
857 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping

Thanks Traveler 47......Karen and I will be in Whistler on Monday July 14th......50/50 whether she will try it. Let us know your experience......good luck! From everything I have read it is fantastic.

She has no problem climbing to the top of Notre Dame or the Eiffel Tower. Hopefully Whistler is next!

Marty

Edited: 27 June 2014, 03:52