We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Day in Whistler in Late July...

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Topic
A Day in Whistler in Late July...

I've got a day free whilst staying in downtown Vancouver, so I've hired a car for the day and want to make the drive up to Whistler. I'm coming from Gatineau on the East coast.

I looked at doing a quad bike tour or bear watching, but these are both out of my price range. So I'm considering doing a kayak tour or just a hike. Can anyone recommend a kayak tour? I don't really just want to kayak on a lake.

Or, if I were to do a hike, what would people recommend, given I only have a day?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,200 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Day in Whistler in Late July...

With one day, I would take the gondola up the mountain and perhaps walk some of the trails from there. There are several really good stops on the way to Whistler, so its a full day when you include those as well.

3-4 hours to drive up with stops at Shannon Falls, perhaps the new Sea to Sky gondola, the Squamish Adventure Centre, Brandywine Falls (worth doing and a nice short hike). Whistler village for lunch and a wander around to see a bit of the village before catching the gondola up the mountain, walking some of the trails at the top, taking the Peak to Peak across to the other mountain and ride the gondola down again. Walk the trails to Lost Lake if you still have time, dinner in the village and enjoy the drive back. Try to drive back in daylight though, the views are better than the drive up, so it would be a shame to do it in the dark. Have dinner back in West Van instead if that works better.

Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
702 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A Day in Whistler in Late July...

You could do the River of Golden Dreams in a canoe or kayak. Unguided tours are $69. Tours include shuttle bus transfer from Whistler Village and back to the village at the end of the trip.

Other good day hikes in the area are Rainbow Lake whistler.com/blog/post/2013/07/17/Whistler-h… or Wedgemount whistler.com/blog/post/2013/09/10/Whistler-h…

Another suggestion would be to rent a bike and explore the valley trail and lakes. Or the great network of x-country trails. - Marie

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: A Day in Whistler in Late July...

Thanks guys.

I've decided that I'm definitely driving to Whistler for the day, stopping at Shannon Falls for a picnic lunch. Is Shannon Falls the best place to stop? I don't want to be driving too much!

After that, we'll continue the drive up to Whistler. The Gondola seemed very expensive ($50 pp?) but I guess we should do it. Is there only 1 Gondola? So we'll ride that, and once we're at the top, I guess there are several trails we can choose form. Any recommendations? After a few hours of trails, we'll head for lunch in Whistler and then drive home!

Does this sound like a good plan? Or should I avoid the Gondola and do a different trail at Whistler?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A Day in Whistler in Late July...

Ideally I'd like a 2 hour hike btw! Or a couple of shorter ones!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A Day in Whistler in Late July...

Would really appreciate any help guys! I leave on Wednesdsy and am confusing myself with research!

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
36 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Day in Whistler in Late July...

Do the Peak 2 Peak. You have a few hiking options up the top. Depends on what difficulty you want. High note-Half note would be a good option but it is a steeper hike but mainly downhill I think.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,200 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A Day in Whistler in Late July...

Gondola's world-wide are all $50+ these days. It is what it is.

8. Re: A Day in Whistler in Late July...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2015, 07:17