We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter Activities

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
317 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Winter Activities

Hi! We'll be in Whistler over Christmas and would like to find out more about the activities. We plan to go for the sleigh rides and wonder is 4pm a good time to go? Where does it depart from and what is the route that it takes? Also plan to take the Peak to Peak Gondola. Since our teens are planning to have the 1 day ski lesson, should we buy the gondola ticket for the day of the ski lesson or does the ski school not use P2P Gondola to go up? Can the gondola ticket be used throughout the day with unlimited rides? Since gondola also goes to Blackcomb side, we can get off to explore the areas there as non-skiiers? Lastly, about the Coca Cola Tube Park, do we need to buy yet another lift ticket to reach it since it is at the Blackcomb Mountain? Actually, there seems to be a lot of lifts(!!!) and if we are not skiing but just want to go up for the views and meals, what would the lifts cost us?

Thanks for any help rendered!

Perth and Kinross...
Level Contributor
691 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter Activities

Other activities to consider are Whistler Sliding Centre (the bobsleigh is a complete adrenalin rush), Snow mobiling and cross country skiing.

All three are excellent in different ways.

If you need more info, let me know.

Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
702 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter Activities

- Blackcomb Sleighrides offers sleigh rides at 2 locations. The Mountain sleigh ride is on Blackcomb Mountain. You meet at Base 2 (Parking lot 6). If you are not driving you can use the Excalibur Gondola from the Village to the meeting location. Look for black and yellow sign for Blackcomb Sleighrides directly behind the check in office. Lift ticket not required to use Excalibur Gondola to Base 2.

- The other sleigh ride location is at Nicklaus North Golf Course. It is a short 5-7 minute drive on Highway 99 north of Village. You will find lots of free parking. For all 'Day-time" sleigh rides guests need to make their own way there. If you are booking a "Nicklaus North Dinner & Sleigh Ride' - shuttle service can be arranged from the Village. To do this you must indicate the need of the shuttle 24 hours ahead on your reservation form and also the pick-up point (or address) from the Village.

- Book sleigh rides in advance for Christmas as they do sell out.

- Have your son's skied before? If they are complete beginners they will be spending the day at the learning zone. Located at the Olympic chair area if you book the Whistler Village location. It is unlikely they will be riding the P2P gondola if they are learning to ski.

- Yes, you have unlimited rides on the P2P and Whistler Village Gondola with a sightseeing ticket.

- No - don't access the Excalibur Gondola on Blackcomb Mountain for sightseeing. You will only get 1/3 up the mountain and it is not really suitable for non-skiers. Just stick to the Whistler Village Gondola and P2P.

- Yes, you need to buy tickets for the tube park. But you do not need a lift ticket to ride the Excalibur Gondola to Base 2 to access the tube park.

- Last year a winter sightseeing PEAK 2 PEAK sightseeing ticket was $46.95. Expect similar price for this year.

Marie

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
317 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter Activities

Thanks, Marie, for your detailed info. Really helped to iron out our itinerary. Much appreciated! Hope you are able to comment on our rough itinerary:

23 Dec. Arrive by Greyhound at 1pm. After lunch and check in to our Village North accommodation, explore the Village and maybe take the Village gondola (is this free or what is the cost and where does it go to?). 7pm take the sleigh ride from the Blackcomb mountain.

24 Dec. Teens will join the 1 day Ski school for beginners (they've never skied before). Since they are newbies and will be in the learning zone, should I book their ski lessons with lift tickets or without? They will rent the equipment and clothing (thanks for the breakdown of rental cost and items too :)). Do these rentals also need to be booked in advance? Just a thought, are these bookings refundable, at least partially, in the event that we couldn't make it for the lesson?

25 Dec. The boys will probably enjoy the gondola rides so we will do the P2P together and have lunch at Christine's. Do P2P tickets also need to be booked in advance? Will then head for the tube park in the afternoon.

Since it's the Christmas season, are there special activities or programs at the Village or hotels that we should not miss? I read somewhere that Westin has caroling so we plan to be there.

Once again, thanks for the help!

Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
702 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter Activities

Your itinerary looks great!

Dec 23: The Whistler Village Gondola is the one you take to access the P2P Gondola. It goes from the Village to the Roundhouse Lodge on Whistler. Last upload in December is going to be 3pm. You still need to purchase a P2P sightseeing ticket to ride this gondola. I would just spend the afternoon exploring the Village and getting organized for ski school the next day. You can pick up the rental equipment after 4pm and also check in for the lesson. Please make a booking for a sleigh ride in advance. Some of the times on the 24th are already sold out!

Dec 24: Book a lesson with a lift ticket - it is much cheaper. Yes book rentals in advance. It will be busy over these dates. It is also cheaper to book rentals online rather than 'walk in' rates.

Ski lessons can be cancelled up to 48 hours prior to the lesson for no fee. Inside of 48 hours and prior to the day of the lesson, there is no fee to transfer to another day or to cancel and refund to a gift card.

Inside 48 hours and prior to the day of the lesson, there is a $25 + tax fee for group lessons to cancel a lesson and refund to a credit card. There are no refunds or cancellations allowed the day of the lesson (full charges will apply). Most rental stores offer a 24 hour cancellation policy -no refunds within 24 hours of rental start date.

Dec 25: It is cheaper to pre book P2P gondola tickets in advance. You can also just buy them the day of. Please book Christine's in advance for Christmas Day - even now would be a good idea! Reservations available at 604-938-7437.

Lots of special activities events happening over Christmas. This page is a great resource and more info will be added nearer to December: http://www.whistler.com/christmas/

-Marie

5. Re: Winter Activities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 August 2014, 08:25
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
317 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winter Activities

Thanks so much, Marie! You've been a great help. Now that I know of the cancellation terms I'm more at ease to book the ski lessons. I had thought now is still too early to book. Was planning to wait till Oct. I'll check the Whistler Blackcomb website again for my bookings. Thanks again!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
317 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winter Activities

My apologies, one more question.. is it possible for my husband and I to meet our boys where they learn to ski without a lift ticket? They probably can't carry their cell phones with them during lesson...

Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
702 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Winter Activities

You would need a lift ticket/sightseeing ticket to get to the learn to ski area. Ski school don't really encourage parents to watch and might not be 'cool' for a group lesson :). The instructor will give a review of the day when the lesson is over.

If being part of your teens ski day is important to you, you could book a private lesson. A half day private lesson is $539 for up to 5 - so you could all go!! Lift tickets would be additional to this cost.

Your contact details will be taken when you check them into their lesson. So you can be contacted if needed. All kids and teens wear a flaik GPS system to keep track of them.

9. Re: Winter Activities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2015, 05:16