We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beginners, part two

Which Whistler hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
10 posts
Save Topic
Beginners, part two

My first message was snubbed.

Basically..

I'm going for the first time in a few of weeks. I'll be staying at the Blackcomb lodge. It was the cheapest deal i found. Any suggestions/ experiences there?

Also i bought my lift tickets online.

I'm a little concerned about the weather and the Telus festival going on. I've never snowboarded before and i'm not sure if THIS is the time/place to learn.

Thanks all,

_G

campbell river, can
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Beginners, part two

Some times posting your message under a different forum helps. I see you are in the Whistler forum perhaps post in the BC or Canada forum. This gives your post more circulation. Sorry, I don't have any other info to be of help to you. I don't ski. Good luck.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,893 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beginners, part two

its been snowing like crazy the past few days so I think you will be fine. I'm not familiar witht he Telus festival otherwise I'd help you out. I'm heading to San Antonio monday so if I could help you more I would.

Austin, Texas
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Beginners, part two

Yeay, snow.....

bcp
honolulu
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Beginners, part two

I was at Whistler during the April 04' Telus festival. The Telus festival will not affect your snowboarding experience since the festival itself is held in the village and the upper mountain areas where you will be snowboarding are literally in another world from the village. In the evening the village will be crowded, especially if there is a music concert and Justin Timberlake drops by to sing like he did in the '04 festival.

If you are a beginner I would recommend taking one or more of the classes that they offer. Classes usually start at 9:30am

If I had to worry about anything it would be that it snows while the time you are there. From their website and the forecasts it is looking like the upper mountains will be spectacular early April 05'. The only downside I can think of Whislter in April is that there usually is no snow at the very bottom of the mountains which means you cannot snowboard all the way from the very top to the bottom of the mountain. You have to catch the gondola at mid-station to get back down to the village. If the bottom is marginal and your are a beginner or you just bought new equipment, I would not chance snowboarding all the way down to the bottom. I did that just that in 12/04 on Whistler and did some base damage to my snowboard due to exposed rocks.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beginners, part two

wb is a tough place to learn due to the sheer vertical. i took beginner lessons there 6 years ago and i earned my turns through black and blue all over.

the plus side is that the instructors are great as is the whole experience. add to this, a massive april dump will soften the spills. if you can, try to practice what you learned on whistler at olympic run....have fun.

as far as the telus world fest, it is just one big party in the village with slope side events to match (eg; big air contests)

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,893 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beginners, part two

hope you have fun. I just visited Austin last week for the first time and thought it was a very cool town. Not at all like Dallas. Stayed in San Antonio and saw quite a lot. Austin was so neat I wished I could have stayed longer. Have fun in BC

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
462 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beginners, part two

puffpuffpassross, you mentioned learning to snowboard on Whistler is not good because of how steep the mountain is. I have not skiied in around 13 years but was only a novice when I did ski. Based on your post I am wondering if Whistler is not a good place to try to get used to skiing again? Are there any beginner runs that you suggest I do or don't do or should I just avoid renting skiis since the mountain is so steep and I would have to go high up since there is not allot of snow towards the base?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beginners, part two

sabrina lane03:

No I am not talking about skiing, just snowboarding. The green runs at Blackcomb are long narrow run outs, great for skiiers, not so good for beginning snowboarders. It is tough for me to judge how good/poor you are over the internet, but all I am saying is that there are other mountains in BC that are more forgiving.

The latest from Whistler is that there has been another massive dump, so more new snow on the mountain. The forcast for the coast is rain all week long, so it you have a trip booked I would not cancel.

bcp
honolulu
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Beginners, part two

Blackcomb is more for intermediates than beginners. There are many runs on Whistler for beginner snowboarders. I first learned how to snowboard by taking classes held on Whistler then I was able to comfortably explore Blackcomb's blue runs on my own. If you are beginner I would recommened taking a snowboard class. The instructor will first take you to gently sloping runs on Whistler, probably in the beginners section near and around the Olympic Station. When you are ready the instructor will then take you up via the Gondola to the Roundhouse lodge on Whistler and go down from there. There are many greens runs from Roundhouse lodge and are perfect for beginners.

Trail knowledge is critical at Whistler-Blackcomb and not a good place for a raw beginner to go exploring without guidance.

(Note: If the weather is warm and the mid-station has marginal snow, the instructors most likely will go higher up the mountain to hold their classes)

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
462 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beginners, part two

sorry for not being more clear. I have no intention of going snowboarding. I am a raw beginner and plan on skiing on Whistler. Are the different sections marked well enough that a beginner who is going on Whistler for the first time ever will be able to tell which areas to go on and which parts to avoid? I found a map online but I am well aware that there is a huge difference between a one page print out and the actual mountain.