We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Polar Bears in Churchill, Manitoba

Lago Vista, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Polar Bears in Churchill, Manitoba

We went in October 2012 with Natural Habitat Adventures. Absolutely fantastic trip! It met all our expectations & more. Only 15 in our group, so plenty of room to move about on the Polar Rover & take photos. Our tour leader was fantastic, knowledgeable, witty, genuinely concerned that we had the best experience possible. Our rover driver was great, with remarkable eye for spotting wildlife at great distances & taking us to them. Accomodations were very comfortable & clean, & meals were good. Just a wonderful experience!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Polar Bears in Churchill, Manitoba

Thanks for sharing your experience with us here Karl. Do you have photos to share too? (We LOVE photos!)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
15 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Polar Bears in Churchill, Manitoba

WOW doing this same trip next week-- where did you stay in Churchill?? Looks like you are from Texa, therefore I assume, like me, you have southern thin blood! Anything you can recomend we bring along??? Or any other helpful sugestions!! thanks

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Polar Bears in Churchill, Manitoba

Can you let me know how it goes with your trip? We are headed to Churchill on November 12th and a little worried that there may be an early freeze-up and the bears will be out on the ice before we arrive. We live in the South and would also like to hear your experience with the cold.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
15 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Polar Bears in Churchill, Manitoba

Sure-- I will try to post information while in Churchill---

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Polar Bears in Churchill, Manitoba

DavidA . . . you may want to check out the Polar Bear Alley blog as that is the best info for day-to-day up in Churchill.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Polar Bears in Churchill, Manitoba

We stayed at the Tundra Lodge from Oct. 22-26. Saw plenty of polar bears. Many up close, and some sparring very close to the lodge. Also saw several arctic fox. On our last day, we didn't even go out on the polar rover. Stayed at the lodge, and enjoyed the show they put on. Fantastic experience. Expensive, but glad that we did this once in a lifetime experience.

Our only disappointment was not seeing the aurora borealis, but we just booked a trip to Bettles late January.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Polar Bears in Churchill, Manitoba

Sounds like you had a great time. The bears sparing must have been really cool! My wife and I are very excited and can't wait for November 12th. I am hoping for lots of bears and arctic fox. I would also love the opportunity to photograph a snowy owl. Hope the weather/wildlife co-operate. I did see on polarbearalley.com that there has been a bit of a warm up and I am less concerned about the the bears being on the ice before we arrive. I do feel bad for the bears - sure they are ready to get on the ice for a seal snack!

David

BTW - when you said Tundra Lodge were you referring to the Tundra Buggy Lodge or another operator?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Polar Bears in Churchill, Manitoba

Yes, we had a great time. We went with NatHab and stayed on the tundra at the Tundra Lodge run by Great White Bear tours. Unfortunately, I don't think that you will see a great snowy owl. I desperately wanted to see one also. The guides weren't very encouraging about seeing one, but we saw Polar Bears, and up close. Some were even laying on their back, "spread eagle" rubbing their tummy or chest. Unbelievable!!

I don't know how to add photos to this post. If somebody can give me instructions, I'll try to post a few photos.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Polar Bears in Churchill, Manitoba

Too bad on the snowy owl! I was in Grand Tetons around Oct 1st and had my first oppotuity to photograph a Great Gray Owl. I am now hooked on finding more owls to photograph.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Polar Bears in Churchill, Manitoba

Last night 2 people were mauled in Churchill by a polar bear . News story link below....

globalnews.ca/news/…