We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing Planes and Clearing US Customs in Winnipeg

Level Contributor
901 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Changing Planes and Clearing US Customs in Winnipeg

We are flying to Las Vegas, via Winnipeg, on WestJet. The plane lands at 7:32 p.m., and the connecting flight departs at 8:40 p.m.. I was told by WestJet that we would have to check in again in Winnipeg and pre-clear US customs shortly thereafter. If I had so little time to do this at Pearson, I would be very concerned. However, I would like to imagine that Winnipeg is substantially less busy. Any thoughts? Will we have enough time, assuming that the first plane is on time? Thanks in advance for any input.

YWG/41 miles north...
Level Contributor
379 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Changing Planes and Clearing US Customs in Winnipeg

Winnipeg airport is tiny in comparison to T.O.

You can walk the entire thing in less than 5 minutes.

As long as your flight is on time out of Toronto you will have plenty of time. You could even grab a bite to eat if you wanted to.

And yes, this forum is pretty much dead compared to the Vegas forum.

(that's where I found your post) Not much to do here really, you'll be happy to have such a short layover. LOL

Have fun in Vegas. I'm going at the end of May and can't wait.

Anymore questions feel free.

Level Contributor
901 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changing Planes and Clearing US Customs in Winnipeg

Hi David,

Thanks so much for your response. I really appreciate it. Clearing US customs at Pearson can sometimes take quite a while, so that was my main concern.

Have a great time in Vegas!

Level Contributor
32 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Changing Planes and Clearing US Customs in Winnipeg

You'll be cutting it tight: WestJet's check-in deadline for transborder flights is 45 minutes prior to departure, or in this case, 7:55 p.m.

If the first time is on-time, you'll likely be picking up your bags somewhere between 7:40 and 7:50 -- which means you'll be checking in just under the wire. If your inbound flight is running late, that could pose a problem.

But once you're checked in, you'll be alright. It's unlikely that there will be any other U.S. departures at that hour, so your fellow passengers to Vegas will likely be the only other people in line at U.S. Customs.

You might want to let the cabin crew know that you have a tight connection in Winnipeg. They might be able to do you a favour by announcing that there are passengers on board who have to make a connection, and that it would be appreciated if non-connecting passengers could be friendly neighbours and keep the aisles clear for a couple of minutes.

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,626 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Changing Planes and Clearing US Customs in Winnipeg

As you have already been told - Winnipeg airport in no way compares to YYZ.

I would not worry especially since I think you are connecting from one WestJet flight to another. If this is the case and they sold you the ticket as a connection, they will do their utmost to make sure you make the connection. They will probably check you right through in Toronto. Even though you will have to get your baggage and bring it to the US Customs/Immigration area, I don't think the issue of checking in 45 minutes in advance will be an issue. You will be in their computer as a connecting passenger and they will be waiting for you.

Good Luck

5. Re: Changing Planes and Clearing US Customs in Winnipeg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 17:19
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question