We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels and what is there to see in Winnipeg

Which Winnipeg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
402 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels and what is there to see in Winnipeg

I will be attending a conference in Winnipeg in early June. I would like to stay on for three extra days. The Delta is fully booked. The nearest hotels to the Conference Centre that they have blocked off rooms for us are the Best Western Charter House, York The Hotel and Place Louis Riel. What are these hotels like? Please let me know as soon as possible.

I would also like to know what are the places of interest. I will be staying for an extra three days.

Thanks.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
308 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels and what is there to see in Winnipeg

It depends how fussy your are about your hotel. York, the Hotel is probably the nicest of the bunch esthetically. Place Louis Riel also has some long-term rental rooms (we had looked at it when we were transferred and couldn't move into our house yet - I found the bathroom smell in one room offensive so didn't stay there). Both of these are a 3 or 4 block walk to the Convention Centre. Charter House is an older (1950's) 3 or 4 story hotel that has been renovated and is closest to the Convention Centre. Someone I talked to in the last year had stayed there and was very pleased with it - nothing fancy but comfortable.

Tourist highlights - you can't miss The Forks - this is an area behind the train station that has been cleaned up and transformed into the #1 tourist destination in Winnipeg. It is where the Red and Assininiboine Rivers meet and, historically, was the meeting grounds for Aboriginal groups to trade furs, etc. There are boutiques, good restaurants, a walkway along both rivers, a waterbus (if weather and water levels permit), historic sites, etc. here. There is a pedestrian bridge from The Forks over the Red River to old St. Boniface - the largest French-Canadian settlement west of Quebec. There are several historic sites and great restaurants in this area. Broadway Ave. directly out the front of the train station is a lovely walkway with our Manitoba Legistlative Building about 10 blocks down. This building is well worth visiting to enjoy it's architectural beauty. It's free and open to the public. The Manitoba Museum (on Main St. across from City Hall) is well-regarded and will give you an excellent feel for the prairie history. The Art Gallery is near the Legislative Bldg. If you are a walker, these spots can all be reached within a few minutes to 1/2 hr. from any of the hotels downtown. Otherwise, the buses would get you to all of them. If you will have a car, there are a few museums within an hour's drive of Winnipeg that are interesting - Lower Fort Garry, 1/2 hr. north of the city is a National Historic Site; Steinbach Pioneer Museum, 45 min. east has a pioneer village and museum. Depending on the river level, you might be able to go on a river cruise which gives you a unique look at Winnipeg - River Rouge Tours Ltd.

If you have any particular interests of things you might like to see, let me know and I can tell you if we have them or not - aircraft museum, cathedrals, etc.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
402 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels and what is there to see in Winnipeg

AuntyMo:

Thanks a lot.

Ginger

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
650 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels and what is there to see in Winnipeg

Hi Ginger, not sure if you're still checking here or if you have already booked, but if you're wanting to be near the convention centre but don't mind a 5-minute walk (fine in June) there's also the Radisson nearby. I haven't been there in a while but I think it is fairly nice.

Or, if you are looking for a nice place and don't necessarily have to be near the convention centre after your conference is over, you might want to move to Inn at the Forks -- very nice place and lots to do nearby (you are right at the Forks) -- or Hampton Inn which is also very nice inside, but less pricey as it's about 5 min. from the Forks. You can walk to the main part of downtown from both as well, in about 10 - 15 min.

houaton, texas
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels and what is there to see in Winnipeg

Ginger,

I have reservations @ the Delta that I'm about to cancel - June 1 - 7.

5. Re: Hotels and what is there to see in Winnipeg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 19:16