We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

*Walking in The Peg*

Which Winnipeg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
*Walking in The Peg*

I am going to be in Winnipeg next week and

I'm staying at the Inn at the Forks. I want to know if it is reasonable to walk to the following locations.

I'm a Vancouverite now, and used to walking everywhere (I don't have a car, so a 4km trek through the city is nothing to me).

-St. Boniface Museum and Louis Riel's grave

-Museum of Man & Nature

-the BDI for some ice cream (yum!)

-Exchange District

-Kelekis

-Wagon Wheel

-Lenore Street in Wolseley (my childhood home)

-the 700 block of Alexander Avenue (my Baba's old house)

Thanks!

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
308 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: *Walking in The Peg*

St. B Museum - right across river - you get to walk across the fabulous Esplanade Riel pedestrian bridge

Museum of Man & Nature - 15-20 min. straight down Main St.

BDI - whoo - that would be a long walk (45-60 min?)- you'd need more ice cream by the time you got back to hotel!!

Exchange District - right downtown - 10 min.

Kelekis - another long walk - maybe 15-20 min. past the Museum of Man & Nature further down Main St.

Wagon Wheel - right downtown - not far at all

Lenore St. - 1/2 hr. maybe

Alexander Ave. - long walk - undesirable neighborhood - I'd be very careful walking around there

Hope you enjoy your time here.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: *Walking in The Peg*

Thanks AuntyMo.

I actually grew up in Winnipeg and want to see my childhood home on Lenore and my Baba's house on Alexander. I know the North End has never been a desirable neighbourhood but plan to go during the day.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
308 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: *Walking in The Peg*

Hi Lanzers, FYI - Alexander Ave. is not in the actual "North End" - it is still considered central Wpg. The true North End begins on the other side of the CP train tracks. The two areas are inhabited by different gangs, so you want to be careful who you say that to! There are a lot of very good people in both areas, but the rotten apples can make your life difficult.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
183 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: *Walking in The Peg*

All of these are in reasonable walking distance except for:

BDI - 11 kms round trip.

Kelekis - 8 kms round trip

Alexander Ave - 7 km round trip

Lenore Ave - 8.5 km round trip

I've added the distances in so that you can decide whether they are too long.

Enjoy your time here.

5. Re: *Walking in The Peg*

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 15:20
Get answers to your questions about Winnipeg