We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winnipeg Airport

Which Winnipeg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
Level Contributor
147 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Winnipeg Airport

Hi

We are going to see the polar bears in Churchill at the end of October but we will be spending one night either side of our trip at the Sheraton Four Points at Winnipeg airport.

We have quite a lot of US dollar travellers cheques left from a previous holiday and I just wondered whether we would be able to use these in the airport shops and restaurants, or are all the prices in Canadian dollars only.

Thanks.

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winnipeg Airport

Prices are in Cdn funds. Note that Winnipeg doesn't have much shopping. www.waa.ca/shopping

You'll find good advice about both travellers cheques and US currency at Canada's Before You Go>Banks & Money: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-s601/Canada:B…

U.K.
Level Contributor
155 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winnipeg Airport

poppyr, you'll be hard pressed to spend much money at Winnipeg Airport. When I have stayed there previously, I have taken the bus (stops just outside the hotel) into the city to shop at Portage Place and The Forks Market, or a taxi over to Polo Place to the shopping mall there. Ask for transport details at the airport or at the hotel front desk. I have stayed at the Sheraton several times and always found the staff to be very friendly and helpful.

Have a great time with the bears--I am heading up there myself in November.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,010 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winnipeg Airport

Poppyr,

Really no shopping at the airport. I second the suggestion to take a taxi over to Polo Park. Lots of shops there to keep you busy and restaurants as well. Some on the periphery of the mall as well.i.e Joey's

The U.S dollar is accepted just about anywhere. You should get a good value exchange right now as the CDN dollar has taken a bit of a nose drive lately. $1.20 CN = $1.00USD

Make sure you do get credit for the exchange . Don't accept the value at par from merchants. There are Banks at Polo Park where you can exchange the traveller's cheques. Traveller's cheques can be difficult to cash at some merchant venues.

Have fun in Churchill. Dress warm.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,905 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winnipeg Airport

> Make sure you do get credit for the exchange .

> Don't accept the value at par from merchants.

Merchants accept US dollars as a convenience to visitors, and can set the rates they choose. You are paying for convenience - if you don't like the rate, your other choice is to exchange at a bank, which will give you a better rate, but you'll pay service fees. (Where I am, it's $5 per transaction - so you would definitely want to exchange a larger amount of TC's.) Depending on the amount you are converting, the crappy rate at a store may work out better overall.

The Winnipeg airport is quite small and does not contain a shopping mall.

5. Re: Winnipeg Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 23:21