We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Registered Nurse from the Philippines

Which Winnipeg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
philippines
2 posts
Save Topic
Registered Nurse from the Philippines

Hi, I am a registered nurse from the Philippines. I will be taking my competence assessment at the Health Science Center in Winnipeg coming March 14-17, 2011. I am planning to be there a week before the examination,so I can have time to adjust and be familiar with the place and the route going to the center. I am currently looking for a safe, comfortable and not so expensive place to stay, maybe an inn or hotel. I will be traveling alone and this will be my first time to travel outside the Philippines. Please help me find a place that is not so far from HSC. I plan to stay in Winnipeg for 10-12 days only for the examination. I prefer also a place where I can have time to review and study. Please help me. Another concern I have is the estimated budget for every meals. I really don't have any idea about this.Please help me.Thank you so much.God bless you all.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
569 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Registered Nurse from the Philippines

There aren't any hotels that you would want to stay at within walking distance of the Health Sciences Centre. It is located in the inner city and the few hotels around there cater to mainly long-term residents who can't afford anything else and the hotels have bars that can get rough. You should look at hotels in the downtown area or try contacting some of the Bed & Breakfast locations that have an address of East Gate or West Gate. Go to the Winnipeg Hotels part of this forum and then there will be a B & B section that you can click on at the top of the page. You can get a direct bus from either of those places. Another suggestion would be to try Place Louis Riel or Holiday Towers. They are apartment hotels downtown which have full kitchens. You wouldn't have to worry about the cost of meals if you could cook for yourself. You could also keep some muffins, buns, fruit, etc. in a hotel room for breakfasts or lunches. Some hotels will have small refrigerators and a microwave. If you do eat out, plan for about $35-50 a day depending on your tastes. Please also bring lots of warm clothing. You will have a shock coming from the Phillipines. The weather here can still be extremely cold and there will probably still be snow at that time of year.

Another avenue you could try: There is a very large Phillipine community in Winnipeg. Go to their website www.pccm.ca (Phillipine Canadian Centre of Manitoba) and try contacting them. You never know, they might be able to find a host family for you.

philippines
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Registered Nurse from the Philippines

Hi:-)thank ou so much for the information. It is really a big help. I will check out the things you suggested and will update you with my progress.Thanks so much. God bless your good heart.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Registered Nurse from the Philippines

AuntyMo has given you very good advice. I used to live in Winnipeg and worked at the Health Sciences Centre. It's a great place to work, however I would not stay at any of the hotels in that area as it is located within a rather rough neighbourhood.

Also, as AuntyMo also pointed out, there is a very large Phillipino community is Winnipeg, so you might be able to find room and board through someone who is affiliated with the PCCM. Best of luck to you, I hope your exams go well and you enjoy your trip to Winnipeg. :)

Edited: 05 October 2010, 20:27
Brandon, Canada
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Registered Nurse from the Philippines

I'm not sure how far downtown is from Health Sciences Center, but there are a couple of nice hotels that a lot of business travellers use when they are in from out of town - I live about 2 hours west of Winnipeg and have stayed at each of these hotels.

Best Western Charterhouse is a good business traveller hotel and you could access Winnipeg's bus system to get to the HSC - they have microwave and fridges in each room so you could keep costs down.

There is also Place Louis Riel which is an "all suite" hotel - decent however sometimes unsavory teenagers are allowed to roam the halls, which intimidated me when staying there alone. (I'm female - didn't seem to bother my husband).

There is the Hilton Suites near the airport which is a great spot but expensive restaurant - there is a microwave and fridge in each suite and you have two rooms in each suite - one living room area and the other a bedroom with a king size bed.

I'm not sure if you know this, but the Winnipeg weather in March can be COLD. Be sure to bring a winter jacket and items of clothing to layer to keep warm - very different from the Phillipines!

Good luck on your tests. If you get a chance, get out of the city and see what the Prairies are really like - you will love our wide open sunny Prairie skies!

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
650 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Registered Nurse from the Philippines

I agree with the suggestions to contact the Phillipine association here; Aunty Mo is likely correct, you may even find a family to stay with (for a fee or maybe even for free!) that can also help you out with transportation, bus routes etc. I hope you will get in touch with them! Good luck.

6. Re: Registered Nurse from the Philippines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2011, 07:38