We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping in Manitoba

Which Winnipeg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Louisville, KY
Level Contributor
114 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Camping in Manitoba

My husband and I are planning to drive our truck camper from Winnipeg on Highway 1 west into Saskatchewan. We will be leaving in two weeks and we know very little about the area. Is camping readily available along Hwy 1? Also, what are the odds of the weather getting "wintry" this time of year? We have the option of waiting until May to make the trip (final destination Jasper, Alberta) so would the weather possibly be better then? Any "must-see" sights along the way? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
569 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping in Manitoba

The weather should be lovely in early September. The crops are all ripening and being harvested. You may experience some rain and the evenings will probably be cool enough for a sweater. Your chances of better weather occur in September. We've had some very late, wet, cold springs the last few years. Winter doesn't usually arrive until November. We've been known to have some very hot Septembers, so be prepared for anything. Watch your weather forecasts close to your trip time (ex. - the forecast for the city of Winnipeg for the next two days is +32C--- I think around 90F). There are provincial campgrounds near the Transcanada Hwy (#1) in all the provinces you will pass through. Enjoy your trip to Jasper. I just came back from there and it was lovely.

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,463 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping in Manitoba

Here is the Canada Government weather web site: weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/…mb-38_metric_e.html

As stated the weather is very good around September. In the spring there may be road closure because of spring flooding.

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,463 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping in Manitoba

Here is a list of campgrounds in Manitoba:

gov.mb.ca/conservation/…index.html

Louisville, KY
Level Contributor
114 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping in Manitoba

Thanks for the prompt replies. You've reassured me about the weather. I live in the midsouth in the USA and anything north of Chicago makes me think I'll see blizzards in September! Glad to hear I was wrong! I'm looking forward to touring your province and you've made it much easier. Thanks again.

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,463 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping in Manitoba

Tell us that you are interested in and we can suggest some "must see sight" . There are things like St Norbert Farmer Market, Historical Exchange

area, theatre, great restaurant, museum parks etc etc.

6. Re: Camping in Manitoba

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2011, 19:54
Winnipeg
Level Contributor
569 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camping in Manitoba

Judging by their Alberta post, Kentuckybette has decided to go through the northern States and up into Alberta. Hopefully they enjoy their trip there as much.

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camping in Manitoba

We will be coming through in mid-May. Are there often road closures due to flooding on Rt 16 or Rt. 1?

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
569 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Camping in Manitoba

No, this year's flooding was highly unusual. There's more chance of the highways being closed in the winte,r due to blizzards. Mid-May should be ideal with all the snow gone.

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Camping in Manitoba

Thanks AuntiMo! If we take 16, will we have problems finding places to camp?