We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May trip

Fargo, North Dakota
2 posts
Save Topic
May trip

Looking at taking my wife to Winnipeg for our 10th Anniversary. It will be a short weekend (May 26-28) because we are taking a trip to the Dominican Republic doing missions work and that will be our main trip. Question is this, I have looked at many sites and have found very little to do over that weekend and I have heard conflicting stories about hotels to stay at. Some people say downtown is the best, others say it is dirty and the drunks are too numerous. I work in an ER and would like some time away from the drunks. Any great local ethnic restaraunts? One really pricey meal would be fine (shes worth it), but some average places (40-60 American/meal) would be nice to know. Are the riverboat rides anything fun? My wife has mentioned them. Any places to absolutely stay away from?? Any info or other ideas would be greatly appreciated and, in advance, I thank all of you that reply. Aaron

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: May trip

As far as what to do that weekend you will have to do a google search for winnipeg entertainment closer to that time when you leave. If you want to check out some good restaurants Corydon Ave has alot of great restaurants and lounges. Personal favorite is Carlos and Murphys great mexican food just off of Corydon near Crazy Corner. IF you want a decent hotel stay near the polo park shopping mall there are alot of new hotels and it is about a 10 min cab ride from downtown and puts you more in the centre of Winnipeg. It is also only 5 min to the airport from there. The Clarion is a nice hotel and I here they have a good spa if the wife wants to relax. The riverboat is alright but I remember it mostly being a party for the younger crowd but this was years ago so you might want to look into that. Other then that pick up an entertainment guide when you arrive and just wing it. If you like live music to you can go to the High and Lonesome bar near the forks its small and hard to find but it is a fun dumpy kind of Blues bar. Might have some drunks but they are clean drunks if you know what I mean.

Winnipeg, Manitoba
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: May trip

Hey Walleye

For hotels I'd recommend

Holiday Inn on South Pembina

CanadInn even further South Pembina

Inn at the Forks -- downtown but "buffered" from the true downtown area

For nice places to eat

Downtown

fude -- is a great little place in the village (falls more in the reasonable price range) serves local fare from a stylin' chef (try their Chili Chocolate Chicken)

Wasabi's on Broadway -- this is in the pricey range, but if you love sushi its to die for!

Ivory -- a good East Indian buffet. not pricey , upscale decor

South

Lux Sole -- a quant little place on South Osborne at Jublilee. (reasonable pricing) the food is good and the desserts are even better!

Many places along Corydon

Nikko's Kristina's or Ciavita's (I've probably spelled them all wrong)

A fun breakfast place is "Bread and Circus's" just off Corydon on Lilac. Some nice boutiques on all sides of this intersection too.

Outside the City

Medicine Rock Cafe -- a short drive out west of the city to St. Francis Xavier. Very romantic, a little pricier. Again local fare by a proper chef.

For things to do --- get a hold of a the entertainment section of a Thursday's Winnipeg Free Press -- it should have at least two pages of bands, exhibits "out and abouts"

Welcome to Winnipeg!

QB

3. Re: May trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2006, 11:42
Fargo, North Dakota
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: May trip

davidbrent,

Nothing special about Fargo (nice place to live and raise a family though) and Minneapolis is HIGHLY overrated. Thanks for your concerns, but Im not looking to spend thousands on a trip, and want to make a short getaway weekend.

Others,

Thanks for your specific feedback and comments. I greatly appreciate them. Keep em coming.

Walleye

Minnesota
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: May trip

For my weekend getaway in Feb. I rented a cabin on Sauk Lake in Sauk Centre, MN.

Have you thought about doing something like that?

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
650 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: May trip

Very good suggestions from "QBPrairie". I especially agree with Inn at the Forks for the hotel -- very nice but most importantly it's a great location, especially for a quick weekend getaway, as there is lots to do literally right outside the hotel without having to drive around. Also has a spa. As was mentioned yes it's downtown but kind of in a little world of its own.

As for things to do -- not sure if you're a fan but INXS is playing here on May 26, if you're in town in time. Don't think it's sold out. Other than that, check back again closer to the date (eg mywinnipeg.com is a decent site for events listings)

Hope you enjoy the 'Peg!

Get answers to your questions about Winnipeg
Recent Conversations