We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Beach

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48,902 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Beach

My wife and will be visiting Winnipeg at the end of May. We're considering renting a car and driving out to Grand Beach. Any other areas to consider visiting within a 1-2 hour drive of Winnipeg?

Thanks in advance.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
308 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Beach

The town of Steinbach, about 45 mins. East, has a wonderful pioneer museum that can take several hours to tour thoroughly. The Whiteshell provincial park, 1 1/2 hrs. east has all sorts of lakes, hiking trails, horseback riding, etc. Selkirk, about 1/2 hr. north has a marine museum. - on the way there is Lower Fort Garry(a national park site), the original stone fur-trading fort from the Hudson Bay Company era.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48,902 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Beach

Thanks for the information. I'll check it out.

canada
Level Contributor
7,676 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Beach

2 hours east of Winnipeg is the town of Kenora on the northern tip of the Lake of the woods where the rich and famous play. To the southwest the town of Morden is in the final stage of uncovering a marine dinosaur. Northwest will lead you to the snake pits of Narscise, but we haven't found a Chinese chef willing to station there.

From Grand Beach follow route 44 to Pine Fall, and other falls and rapids through Lac du Bonnet and drop in to Pinawa. See if you like to be part of that community. Some people commute to Winnipeg on a daily basis. If you like Arts & crafts visit Gimli area. You don't need to speak the Icelandic language, just like getting by without Deutch in Steinbach, Winkler or Morden. If you do speak German, try to ask for permission to visit a Hutterite Colony (farming community), there are over 300 across the Province. Ready to adjust your understanding of "commune", "community" and "communism".

Winnipeg, Manitoba
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Beach

Try Gimli, sixty miles north of Winnipeg. You won't be sorry.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48,902 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Beach

I'll check it out. Thanks.

YWG/41 miles north...
Level Contributor
379 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Beach

hello chicago dave.

I would not miss Grand Beach. If you only drive to one place outside Winnipeg this would be it. Although I am not sure how cold the water would be at that time of year. Beautiful beach though and beautiful people if its a nice day.

Also, thanks for the chicago advice from earlier.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48,902 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Beach

Hi David,

Thanks for the advice. We're flying up this evening. Hope you had a good visit here.

8. Re: Grand Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 08:15
Get answers to your questions about Winnipeg
Recent Conversations