We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

renting a car in Winnipeg

Which Winnipeg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wallingford...
Level Contributor
50 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
renting a car in Winnipeg

hello:

thinking of flying into Winnipeg, renting car and driving to North Dakota... any info on crossing the border in a rental would be appreciated. also, when can/does the weather turn ugly in this area? October November? in general I mean... thanks!

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
569 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: renting a car in Winnipeg

You'll need to contact the car rental companies directly to see if you can cross the border. We've done it but I don't remember which company it was. We usually have had one light snow by the end of October which doesn't usually stick around. Truly ugly weather can happen any time, but on average, probably after mid-November.

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,463 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: renting a car in Winnipeg

Sometime there is snow at Halloween, sometimes it hold off till December. The highways are in good condition going to North Dakota.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,384 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: renting a car in Winnipeg

Crossing the border can take longer than you would like.

be patient.

Are you returning the car to Winnipeg ?

Wallingford...
Level Contributor
50 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: renting a car in Winnipeg

yes, I would be...

Alberta
Level Contributor
658 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: renting a car in Winnipeg

I've rented with Alamo and Budget in the past six months. Both allowed me to take the car to the US. Just confirm when you choose a rental car company. Also check into any insurance you might need before getting to the rental counter.

6. Re: renting a car in Winnipeg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2014, 06:17