We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time travelling to Winnipeg

Moorhead, Minnesota
1 post
Save Topic
First time travelling to Winnipeg

I'm in the process of planning a girl's weekend to Winnipeg sometime in late May/early June (we live in northern Minnesota, the drive isn't too far), but would really like some input as far as any landmarks, restaurants, and especially hotels are good. The four of us have never been out of the country before. I'm thinking most of the time we would be walking, or using some type of method of transportation to get around. Nothing is set in stone, so any suggestions or cautions are much appreciated!

Travel Manitoba Visitor Information Centre
Visitor Centres, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Trappist Monastery
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Old Market Square
Grant's Old Mill
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,298 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time travelling to Winnipeg

Hi arink ~

There may be a couple of things to know about necessary dicuments to have in order to return across the border to the States. Here is a TA article. Scroll down to find the info that applies to you.

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g191-s602/United-State…

While you're waiting for replies, you could get started by looking in the tab up in the green menu bar called, "Things to Do."

And here is some other border crossing info:

…usembassy.gov/mobile//traveling_to_canada/r…

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
653 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time travelling to Winnipeg

That will be a very nice time to visit!

What age group are you and tour friends, and what kinds of things do you like to do?

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,585 posts
454 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time travelling to Winnipeg

Winnipeg has a great bus system . Here is the link: http://winnipegtransit.com/en

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,585 posts
454 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time travelling to Winnipeg

Here is a list of what happen in Winnipeg : www.tourismwinnipeg.com/upcoming-events

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,665 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time travelling to Winnipeg

I spent some quality time in Winnipeg this past summer. It's a great city!

For hotels, without knowing your budget or your style, I'd look into staying at the Inn at the Forks or the Fairmont Winnipeg (especially the Gold Floor upgrade). These are my favourites. There's also the Holiday Inn & Suites Winnipeg Downtown, and the Radisson Hotel Winnipeg Downtown, which I've also enjoyed, especially if you upgrade to the suite.

Restaurants - again, without knowing what kind of cuisine you like, I can recommend what I've enjoyed. The first five that come to mind are the Fusion Grill, the Peasant Cookery, Carnivale Brazilian BBQ, Chez Sophie, and Pizzeria Gusto. The Deer & Almond, Fude, Segovia Tapas, and Lobby on York are all restaurants I had meant to try, which people rave about. Bistro 7 1/4 is also supposed to be good, but the service when I went was atrocious, so I'd hesitate to go there. If you're looking for something casual, I really loved Unburger. Boon Burger does veggie/vegan burgers, and people also rave about that place. I had one of their burgers, but wasn't crazy about it, even though I do love veggie burgers.

Areas to explore: the Exchange District (for restaurants, historic architecture), Osborne Village for bohemian/funky shops/restaurants, and the Forks, for a big bustling marketplace on the river, as well as restaurants, cafes, and the historical heart of the city. Corydon was somewhere I meant to explore, which is the Italian neighbourhood, and is more of a local hangout with restaurants, pubs, and so on.

St. Boniface is Winnipeg's francophone community with a lot of history, some great restaurants, and wonderful museums, including the St. Boniface Museum (a small museum packed with rich history).

Landmarks: the Forks, the Esplanade Riel (pedestrian bridge over the Red River), the St. Boniface Cathedral, the Louis Riel grave, the Winnipeg Legislature Building (if you can and if it's running, I highly recommend taking the Hermetic Code tour of the building - one of my favourite tours of anything, anywhere. Seriously). If you like art, the Winnipeg Art Gallery is a must. I also really loved visiting the Manitoba Museum, which could easily eat up a good chunk of the day, as well as a visit to the Assiniboine Park. If you're into fur trade history, a visit to Fort Gibraltar is a must.

That should get you started!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time travelling to Winnipeg

Hi, The Inn at the Forks is a nice hotel and will put you right at the Forks. It has a great spa, I'm not sure if you guys want to do any spa treatments! Polo Park is the biggest mall with the best shopping and stores. I also really like the Fairmont Hotel too, the have great staff and service. Wasabi on Broadway is a nice sushi restaurant and Infernos restaurant (both locations) are great places to dine. I also agree with all of BC Robyn's suggestions.

have fun! Jo

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,174 posts
777 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time travelling to Winnipeg

Well you don't have to worry about the Jets being in the playoffs! :)

Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First time travelling to Winnipeg

What is your age range? If you're a group of younger people than I'm going to suggest what me and my friends usually do when we're in Winnipeg.

The nightlife:

- Try checking out Stereo nightclub, Area nightclub, TYC (Tijuana Yacht Club), Opera Ultra Lounge, and Essence.

Recommended areas (Worth walking around in):

- Check out "Little Italy" located on Corydon Avenue. There are a lot of restaurants and pubs located along Corydon, best of all Corydon is literally a slight turn (Confusion corner) away from Osborne Village!

- Osborne village turns out at night. There are a lot of unique shops you can look at during the day and at night there is a pub called "The Toad" worth checking out in the evening.

- The Forks is a MUST to walk around in. Inside The Forks shopping centre you'll find native crafts, hand-made souvenirs and other cool nick-nacks worth looking at. The Forks has a lot of small trails running through it that are worth exploring including two that head down the Red River and another that heads into the St. Boniface area.

- St. Boniface is the "French" area of Winnipeg. You'll find a lot of cute cafes in this area and a lot to explore, plus it's only a bridge walk away from The Forks!

- The Exchange District, same thing, a lot of small shops and pubs are located throughout this area and the two major clubs located near by include Whiskey Dix and Opera Ultra Lounge.

- Assiniboine Park, enjoy walking around in the new zoo, along the park's many trails, and spend some time feeding the ducks in the pond~!

Hope that helps, my friends and I usually spend our time doing these activities while we're in the city!

9. Re: First time travelling to Winnipeg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2015, 06:19