We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels

Blind Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels

I need an honest review of the rooms at the Ft. Garry Hotel. Its a very pricey place to stay and from what I've read its very disappointing.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
19,194 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels

Given that the TA reviews are from people who stayed there, I'm not quite sure what more you want...

tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g154954-d182658-…

I have stayed there. Some of the rooms are large, some are small ... that's what happens in an old hotel like the Fort Garry. The service I received was impeccable. That was 6 years ago ... the reviews on TA are much more recent than that.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
233 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels

I would suggest that your experience at the Fort Garry will largely depend on what you're expecting. The hotel is over 100 years old and your room will have a balance of how hotels were constructed back in the day with some modern upgrades. We've stayed there a few times, including last summer when my son's wedding was there.

Our rooms have always been adequate, but not huge, bathrooms included. Ceilings are high. Beds are newer and very comfortable. If you appreciate older architecture, there is no other hotel of this caliber in Winnipeg. The lounge on the main floor is simply spectacular. Sunday brunch is out of this world. Reading up on the history of the hotel is also interesting to some, including the ghost stories.

I have always been extremely impressed with the hotel staff. Many have been there for years. If you're in the city for business in the downtown area, it's easy to walk from the hotel.

I'm not sure it's any more expensive than any other of the higher end hotels in Winnipeg when I've checked. Hotels that were built more recently will have the newer norms regarding room size, but you won't get the charm and history that this grand old hotel has.

If your expectations are realistic, you won't be disappointed.

Fargo, North Dakota
Level Contributor
6 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels

I stayed there about three years ago and frankly I was disappointed. I would much rather stay at Inn at the Forks. That being said, the Sunday brunch at the Fort Garry is really good.

Winnipeg, Manitoba...
Level Contributor
1 post
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels

I have stayed at the Inn at The Forks. Its VERY nice. Restaurant has great food, live music in lounge in evenings and location s right in the middle of the forks. Ft Gary is also nice but in a different way. As someone mentioned its over 100yrs old. So you can't expect size comparsions in all rooms to be equal nor everything 100% modern. The Mere hotel is brand new and from what id have heard is excellent. Same owners as the forks people.

5. Re: Hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2015, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Winnipeg
Recent Conversations