We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern Lights visible in April?

Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Northern Lights visible in April?

Hi everyone,

Please excuse my ignorance on this topic but can you advise whether the Northern Lights are still visible in April? We are planning our next trip which will include Canada. We are trying to work out the best places for us to visit and the Northern Lights rate highly on our wish list. We are open to any suggestions, even if it means going to remote places.

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,597 posts
475 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern Lights visible in April?

Here is a web site that may help you: http://www.softservenews.com/Aurora.htm

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
2,153 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northern Lights visible in April?

It is very hard to predict when you will see the northern lights. I live in an area of Manitoba where they can be seen once or twice a month, but there doesn't seem to be any set formula for me to predict when we will see them. I think it helps that I live in a rural area that is very dark, and also that my husband works nights and is often outside throughout the night and spots them randomly. He will sometimes call me at home to tell me to look outside for them. They can be there for 10 minutes or 2 hours, can be very dull or very bright.

In my experiences it will be difficult to predict where and when to be if you want to see northern lights. But generally it seems that the further north you head the better the chance of seeing them, and being in a dark area can help as well, but please remember there are no guarantees. In my experience it seems to be pure chance to end up in the right place at the right time. I do hope you get to see them, they are so amazing.

3. Re: Northern Lights visible in April?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2015, 05:16