We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice please on circular route from Boston

St Albans...
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Advice please on circular route from Boston

I attended a holiday exhibition in London and a representative from the area gave me the idea of visiting New Brunswick/Nova Scotia. I am seeking advice on driving from Boston and touring the East Coast up to Prince Edward Island, On the return journey to visit Quebec and Montreal. That briefly outlines the plan but it needs a lot more thought on where to visit, stay and what is a must see. Nothing has been booked but I would have 18 days to accomodate the holiday. Is my idea reasonable without too much rushing around. I would be arriving mid September.

I would appreciate any advice and information on this adventure or even part of it.

Thank you

David

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,111 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice please on circular route from Boston

Hi David;

I would suggest that you use an online mapping service, such as Google Maps or Mapquest.com, and look at the distances involved for your planned trip.

Boston Mass. to St John New Brunswick, to Halifax Nova Scotia, to Charlottetown PEI, to Quebec City Quebec, to Montreal Quebec, to Boston Mass. is a trip of approx. 1826 miles / 2939 km.

I would suggest that you fly to one of the Canadian cities on your route, and start / finish there. I believe that Montreal would probably be the most convenient from the UK.

Best Regards

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
Level Contributor
6,657 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice please on circular route from Boston

That would be a lot of driving. Flying into Canada makes sense unless you have another reason for flying to Boston. Look at the New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Province of Quebec (as opposed to Quebec City) and PEI websites for information. Google a map and come back with more questions.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,648 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice please on circular route from Boston

Hi David!

Eighteen days is tons of time for seeing Maritime Canada and upper New England, even if you have to share some of it with Quebec.

First, know that most of the way you'll have the option of taking fast motorways with a 65 -70 mph posted speed limit. If time were getting short at any point, you can get on your way quickly.

September offers our finest weather of the year for sightseeing, your best chance for dry clear days. The crowds and early summer fog are gone, as well as the biting insects. You'll still have daylight past 7 p.m., thanks to Summer Time (known as Daylight Saving Time in North America). In the north, the leaves will just be starting to turn. Further south, the color change doesn't begin until the end of September.

Here's a short selection of my faves, if I were making your voyage:

- Acadia National Park, in southeastern Maine, a lovely region of hills, woods, lakes and inlets, laced with trails made by the wealthy who once owned the park, and featuring the resort town of Bar Harbor with its large number of hotels.

- Prince Edward Island, the most quaint part of Canada

- Cape Breton island, and especially Cape Breton Highlands National Park, a sampling of the rugged, wooded hills that Europeans come expecting to find in Canada

- Quebec City, the walled heart of French Canada. They speak French here, but you'll find it quite different from France.

- Between Montreal and Boston, try to drive part of Route 100 in Vermont, a classic slice of old rural America. Even we in this part of the world find it charming, so it's a certainty that someone from England will!

Happy travels!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

St Albans...
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice please on circular route from Boston

Thank you all for your guidance My thoughts are that it may be too much driving as we do like to stay in each suitable place at least a couple of nights just to get the flavour of that area.Do some walking and try the local food etc It may be that we will have to dispense with Quebec and Montreal and stick to NS and NB and of course New England. That was the appeal to us in the first place.

I will review my plans for a circulat tour seeing as much as we can. Any further suggestions will still be most welcome.

Thank you. David

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,111 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice please on circular route from Boston

You're Welcome !

There are some car rental companies that will not permit their cars out of the state or out of the country, or charge a premium if they do. Most of the larger rental companies will allow cross border travel.

Ensure that the car rental company notes on the rental agreement that they authorize you to take the car into Canada. You may be asked by Customs when entering Canada, or when re-entering the US, for this documentation.

Some companies offer unlimited mileage, but only within the US. The rental company will use the onboard GPS to track your usage. The extra per mile charges can add up quickly, so be sure to ask in advance.

Best Regards

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
Level Contributor
6,657 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice please on circular route from Boston

I know that AVIS lets you take a car from Canada into the USA so you should be able to do that USA-Canada.

7. Re: Advice please on circular route from Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 10:15