We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 nights in Nova Scotia (without Cape Breton)

England
Level Contributor
185 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
7 nights in Nova Scotia (without Cape Breton)

We’ll be coming to Nova Scotia first week in June, flying in and out of Halifax. I’ve spent hours already reading through various forum posts to help plan our time, but I’m now suffering from information overload! I really need your help to narrow the choices down and pin down how we can spend our time. We really like the idea of spending a fairly leisurely 8 days visiting coastal towns, staying in accommodations with character, eating/drinking well, maybe visiting a couple of wineries, doing some hiking (no more than 4/5 hours round trip) as well as kayaking. I was thinking our trip could look something like this:

1. Arrive in Halifax around 12pm from the UK, overnight

2. Drive the Lighthouse Route very slowly, taking in Peggy’s cove (I think there’s a short hike somewhere along there?), the Aspotogan Peninsula, Mahone Bay, Lunenburg, Cherry Hill beach, drive spend the night somewhere along there (not sure where??)

3. Drive up and stop in Annapolis Royal briefly, ending up in Wolfville.

4. From Wolfville, visit a couple of vineyards, maybe a short hike somewhere?

5. Drive to Cape Chignecto and stay in Cape d’Or Lighthouse (where we can have dinner as well). A short hike on the day.

6. Kayaking. Dinner in Wild Caraway. Another night in Cape d’Or

7. Another hike in Cape Chignecto in the morning. Drive back to Halifax.

8. Something to do in Halifax during the day? Fly back late in the evening.

What do you think? I’m not sure where to change our plans to include Yarmouth/Digby area, or is that not worth it since we’ll be too early for whale watching? Is it worth driving around the whole South Shore for the scenery, or would it be too long and we should cut through to Annapolis Royal? Is it even worth passing through Annapolis Royal and doing that route to Wolfville? For example, would it make sense to base ourselves in Halifax for longer and do the Lighthouse route and Wolfville as day trips from Halifax? This means we could build in some flexibility and decide when to do what depending on weather/rain. (And I notice that it’s quicker to drive from Halifax to Cape Chignecto than from Wolfville!). So, idea 2:

1. Arrive in Halifax around 12pm Sunday, sight see, a quick dinner/drink in the evening.

2. Day trip to the Lighthouse Route, taking in Peggy’s cove, the Aspotogan Peninsula, Mahone Bay, Lunenburg, Cherry Hill beach, back to Halifax late in the evening.

3. Day trip to Wolfville, visit a couple of vineyards, maybe a short hike somewhere?

4. Time in Halifax, potentially a hike in the vicinity (swap days 2,3,4 depending on weather).

5. Drive to Cape Chignecto and stay in Cape d’Or Lighthouse (where we can have dinner as well). Hike on the day.

6. Kayaking. Dinner in Wild Caraway. Another night in Cape d’Or

7. Another hike in Cape Chignecto in the morning. Drive back to Halifax late afternoon.

8. Something to do in Halifax on a Sunday? Fly back late in the evening.

Any help on how to improve these itineraries would be really appreciated!

Also, how lively is Halifax on a Sunday for dinner/drinks? Is there live music for example?

Thank you.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 nights in Nova Scotia (without Cape Breton)

perhaps try posting this on the Nova Scotia forum. You will be happy with all the suggestions you will receive!

England
Level Contributor
185 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 nights in Nova Scotia (without Cape Breton)

Thank you for the correction, an oversize on my part!

3. Re: 7 nights in Nova Scotia (without Cape Breton)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2013, 10:22