We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ground transportation

Brighton,MA
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
ground transportation

Does anyone know if there are any ground transportation from

Maine to New Brunswick besides driving my own car?

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,752 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ground transportation

Hi Brighton!

As a practical matter, no.

There was once bus service between St. John, NB and Bangor by Acadian Lines, the leading intercity bus company in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. They discontinued the service due to lack of interest.

There's no rail.

There was once a major ferry service to Nova Scotia from Bar Harbor, ME. The government canceled the subsidies, so this ferry is gone.

You do have ferries across Passamaquoddy Bay from Campobello Island to Deer Island and from Deer Island to the New Brunswick mainland, Also from Eastport ME to Deer Island. These are remote corners, though, difficult to reach without your own car.

There may be a few possibilities, but I don't think of them as very practical:

There's a local bus service from Bangor to Calais, ME following a roundabout route via Ellsworth. Acadian Lines buses run from St. Stephen, on the Canadian side, to St. John. It's neither convenient nor is the service frequent, and the two bus routes do not connect, either geographically or schedule-wise.

You could take a taxi. Bangor to St. John, NB is about 3 hours one-way, so do not expect it to be economical. On the other hand, if multiple people are traveling, you could share the cost.

Cruise ships stop in St. John. This is not scheduled service for casual passengers, of course, but keep it at the back of your mind as a completely different option.

When all else fails, bring your own car! Driving is easy, and our roads are no worse than those in the northeastern states. Your standard North American auto insurance policy routinely covers you Americans in all Canadian provinces. We're Canadians, and we frequently cross the border to travel in New England on long weekends, without giving it a second thought.

Happy travels!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Edited: 03 July 2012, 15:01
Brighton,MA
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ground transportation

Thank you so much David

3. Re: ground transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 22:16