We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

autumn colour in the Maritime provinces timing?

Sheffield Yorkshire
Level Contributor
86 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
autumn colour in the Maritime provinces timing?

We'd like to visit NB, PEI and NS and see the autumn colours as well as the landscape generally. Our best choice of flights from the UK is to Toronto though we can do Halifax some days. We cant travel before 8 October 2012. Given we need a few days to drive and sightsee from Toronto to NB etc are we likely to miss the best colour in the East. If we flew to Halifax would a circular tour of NS. PEI and NB from there take 2 or 3 weeks? We dont like hot weather, but the idea is to have a break before the long UK grey cold sets in, so we'd prefer not to preview that weather on our holiday. Thanks for any comments or suggestions you can make.

Do I need also to post to PEI and NS forums? I've put a query in the Ontario one

Thanks

canada
Level Contributor
158 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: autumn colour in the Maritime provinces timing?

The period from mid-September to Thanksgiving (October 8th this year) is usually the best time to see the fall colours but it really depends on the weather. Some years the leaves turn ealrier in the season and some years they turn later. Mid to end of September is probably the best time but last year my husband was still golfing in October so it is really hard to predict. You are going to be on the tail end of it for sure with arriving in Toronto on October 8th. The leaves will turn perhaps a week later in PEI and Nova Scotia than New Brunswick as they are slightly farther south.

Alma
Level Contributor
39 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: autumn colour in the Maritime provinces timing?

I agree, this is really hard to predict, but arriving in Halifax would give you an extra few days in the Maritimes. A lot of New Brunswick is actually south of PEI, but Nova Scotia has a slightly warmer climate, Most of the scenic areas in maritme Canada have secondary roads, so travel is slower than you might expect, so I suggest that you plan to spend 3 weeks to really get a true maritme experience. It would be unusual to find snow in southern NB (along the Fundy coast) before late December, or maybe even January. A lot of the tourist operations in PEI will be closed when you are travelling, but it is still an interesting place to visit, accommodation and meals may be limitied to larger centers. NS & NB fishing villages have year round facilites.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,730 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: autumn colour in the Maritime provinces timing?

Hi Sheffield,

October 8th happens to be around the height of color changes in southern New Brunswick. The 15th of October is around the peak in southern Nova Scotia including Halifax.

In the third week of October along the Atlantic coast, the reds will be at their peak, and this is probably the most glorious time. Earlier than this, there will still be a delightful mixture of greens among the reds, oranges and yellows.

If you wait until the fourth week of October in Nova Scotia (third week in southern New Brunswick) the reds will have fallen, leaving the oranges and yellows. The reds offer a considerably more intense show of color, and were I you I would try not to miss them.

By November 1st, most of the leaves will be gone. The oaks usually wait until the second week of November to fall (some oaks do not fall in autumn), and that same time for the tamarack, a conifer that turns yellow and sheds its needles.

The timing of the autumn colors is not at all unpredictable, and does not vary according to the weather. (I can't count how many times I've seen and heard, during a dry summer like this one in 2012, ordinary folks and even newspaper articles predicting that the leaves will fall early, but it's never happened!) You will find a gradient between north and south, with everything happening earlier in the north and inland. In coastal Nova Scotia, though, the last of the leaves (except for oak and tamarack, will certainly have fallen by the first week of November.

Happy travels!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Sheffield Yorkshire
Level Contributor
86 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: autumn colour in the Maritime provinces timing?

Thanks for the detailed replies everyone. Think I might plan to fly to Halifax to increase our chances of seeing great colour, but it means we cant go from our local airport. Anyone got ideas for a circular route we could do given we want to include NB but have to get back to Halifax. Would it be very expensive to fly to Toronto after touring NS NB and PEI?

5. Re: autumn colour in the Maritime provinces timing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2013, 10:16