We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to New Brunswick, Canada

San Diego...
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
First time to New Brunswick, Canada

I am planning a trip to the Canadian Maritimes in October. A friend and I wanted to add New Brunswick to our trip which includes Nova Scotia and PEI. We have about six days to tour NB. We will have a car and both of us enjoy seeing historic areas. Any advise/suggestions for places to visit and places to stay are greatly appreciated!

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,406 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to New Brunswick, Canada

<<both of us enjoy seeing historic areas>>

I suspect during all your years in school, New Brunswick was not mentioned once as a place where anything historically important happened. That was not because of poor teaching or curriculum. Natural attractions are why people go to New Brunswick, not for its history.

But there are two places well worth visiting for social history, Kings Landing and the Acadian Village.

http://kingslanding.nb.ca/

www.villagehistoriqueacadien.com/index_en.cfm

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
Level Contributor
6,707 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to New Brunswick, Canada

Not quite true ronw, NB was settled in the late 1600's and was the home of the united empire loyalists plus those who arrived after they fled from the aftermath of the Boston tea party (including those from Harvard). It is also home to the oldest English speaking university in Canada, and one ot the two oldest in North America. NB was also the home of Lord Beaverbrook and Bonar Law (the only Canadian to be prime Minister of Britain). These are just a few historical facts but there are more.

donegalcastle - please come to visit. Excellent tourist info can be found at tourisimnewbrunswick.ca

San Diego...
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to New Brunswick, Canada

Thanks keenvisitor for the historical information as well as the suggestion to look at tourisimnewbrunswick.ca. I have glanced at that site - just thought there might be someone out there who might have specific suggestions for "must see" locations.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to New Brunswick, Canada

Welcome to NB

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to New Brunswick, Canada

Not to mention Saint John is Canada's oldest city!

New Brunswick
Level Contributor
16 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to New Brunswick, Canada

Be in N.B. early October...Autumn beauty! We have gotten snow in mid or late October. Stop in Edmundston and walk the boardwalk around the lake; have a picnic there. Stop in Florenceville and walk the boardwalk parallel to the river and make a reservation for gourmet restaurant called FRESH. The Market in Saint John is colorful and gives a cross-section of society. Lots of History to see there: Loyalist House, Market Square: N.B. Museum Beautiful seascapes St.Martin's, Fundy Trail then go to Fundy National Park moving on to Cape Enrage then Hillsborough to Moncton. Stop in Cape Pele en route to P.E.I. even Tim Horton's is good there as is Frank's restaurant. Boutouche has an Iriving Park with Chapel and gardens worth exploring and the boardwalk by the sea is delightful; we like to eat at Signour (?) on the main Street. Lots more.....

New Brunswick
Level Contributor
16 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to New Brunswick, Canada

La Saqouine is the correct name of restaurant in Boutouche, New Brunswick.

I have travelled in N.B. much, having lived here over 30 years. The beauty grabs you. It is an unique culture. I was born in Prince Edward Island and could tell you much for travel there. Hope your travels are safe and wonderful! Read up on the history. Research the internet and your trip will be rich.

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
Level Contributor
6,707 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to New Brunswick, Canada

Fredericton is the capital of the province where you can visit the Historical Garrison district, Old Government house, the Museum and more. Drive from Fredericton to spend the day at king's landing.

New Brunswick
Level Contributor
16 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to New Brunswick, Canada

All depends on the routing you choose, to get to Prince Edward Island. Quickly into New Brunswick from U.S.A. swing over to St. Andrews. There are long drives to get to points of interest; it is not compact.. Coming from St. Andrews stop at Ozzie's, a roadside" take- out" that knows how to cook fish; picnic tables are scattered about the property.

Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time to New Brunswick, Canada

Hi

I am visiting New Brunswick on 10th February as my son is in College.

I know the weather is not likely to be great but can anyone suggest anything to do in winter please?

Will it be worth us visiting PEI as I am keen to go there, but have been told the weather will be pretty bad?

thanks