We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Digby St John ferry September: cancellation due to weather

Sheffield Yorkshire
Level Contributor
86 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Digby St John ferry September: cancellation due to weather

I read a post that said sometimes the ferry is cancelled at short notice in September. We are touring NS from 19 September and then planned to get ferry over in order to see NB. I had thought I'd book accommodation in NB ahead of time, especially St John.

If I dont book ahead, will I have trouble getting somewhere to stay on arrival? How high is the risk of cancellation or rough crossing? I know in the Uk we regularly have what are called equinoctial gales around mid-September

thanks for any experience you can offer

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
16,751 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Digby St John ferry September: cancellation due to weather

Cannot speak to the ferry question, but I think you will find most hotels have a cancellation policy that is good up to about 6pm on the day of arrival. The time may differ, but generally for most major hotels, chains, etc. that is standard policy. B&B's and/or smaller independently owned hotels may have different policies. The best thing to do is check and confirm cancel policies when making a reservation.

That way, if the ferry is cancelled, you can cancel and make other arrangements.

Edited: 02 August 2013, 18:30
Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,676 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Digby St John ferry September: cancellation due to weather

Hi Sheffield!

The chance of cancelation on any particular day is very low, but not zero.

The main reason a sailing may be canceled is high winds. September happens to be our hurricane season, and in September it's normal to get one or two storms that could cause a sailing to be postponed, either because of need or due to an abundance of caution.

There's no way to predict hurricanes any more than a few days in advance. Watch the weather forecasts when you're here. This is the internet address for the Canadian government weather service:

weather.gc.ca/forecast/…

Navigate around their site and you'll also find the Canadian Hurricane Center.

Other possibilities are mechanical trouble or an industrial accident, but few would alter their plans in advance over such things. You''ve heard about them on the English Channel and North Sea ferries too.

While I can't tell you with certainty what will happen with your hotel, all my experiences are that in case of delays beyond your control, like storms, the hotel will still be happy to have you stay with them as soon as the ferry can get you there.

By the way, in case of such a cancelation, it's a six hours non-stop drive around the Bay of Fundy from Digby, where the ferry departs, to St. John, New Brunswick. The ferry takes three, not including checking in and queues. If the ferry can't take you, just drive around!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Sheffield Yorkshire
Level Contributor
86 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Digby St John ferry September: cancellation due to weather

Thanks David. as a first time visitor to NB I am inclined to check everything in advance. Thanks for useful links and advice.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Digby St John ferry September: cancellation due to weather

In over 25 plus years of taking the Digby to Saint John ferry at least once a year...only once did we have a sailing cancelled and that was in the dead of winter.

I don't think you will have a problem with ferry reservations in September, so don't worry about making them too far in advance. Also, as pointed out by the other posters, most of the hotels/motels have a 4 pm cancellation policy, or 6 pm in some cases. Keep an eye on the weather on the day you are planning on sailing. As capetien points out...you can still drive around if you are uncertain about the weather. It is a very long and unpleasant 3 hours if the seas are rough.

As the crossing you will probably be taking is the 8 am sailing from Digby, even if the sailing is cancelled at the last minute, you will still have ample time to arrive at your hotel before 6pm.

Remember you will have to be at the terminal 1 hour before departure time, so an early morning for you!

Edited: 03 August 2013, 21:36
Sheffield Yorkshire
Level Contributor
86 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Digby St John ferry September: cancellation due to weather

Thanks. We would be getting the 8am sailing, thanks for the reminder about turning up early for it. You are right I really dont fancy a 3 hour rough crossing, so will look in advance at what is involved in driving round. that way I will feel prepared. :)

6. Re: Digby St John ferry September: cancellation due to weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about New Brunswick