We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Fundy Trail Parkway

ohio
4 posts
Save Topic
Day trip to Fundy Trail Parkway

We will be arriving by a cruise in Oct and I would like to do this trip. Is there any tour groups that do this or buses. Thank you for any help with this.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Fundy Trail Parkway

Hi Ohio!

The Fundy Trail Parkway starts at St. Martins, about 35 miles east of the St. John, New Brunswick cruise pier, a bit under an hour's travel each way. It follows a winding route following the cliffs about 7 miles long, one-way. I consider it well worth the visit.

Since I've never come on a cruise ship, I'm not the best one to tell you about excursions from the vessel. Others have written to say that approved tours are offered, at prices they considered inflated. (And here, I'm repeating what others said about it. I don't know from personal knowledge. A tour operator might have a different view, or explain that his price includes incidentals, making it more economical than at first look.)

It's not part of the city bus network, and it would be too far to bicycle from your ship. If you can't find what you want through the cruise line, let me suggest a couple of other ways you might do it.

- Hire a taxi on an hourly rate or negotiate an agreed fixed price. This works especially well if three are going.

- Rent a car. St. John has several rental firms, including cars located within sight of the cruise pier. For two or more people, this will likely be the least expensive way, you'll have transportation both ways and also over the Fundy Trail Parkway itself and the nearby St. Martins Sea Caves. And then, you'll still have the car for seeing other sights in and around the city. Driving is easy, even in downtown St. John.

- It's essentiasl to check tide times. Attractions like the St. Martins Sea Caves are only of interest at low tide. If you arrived at high water, the caves would be flooded and inaccessible, and Fundy scenery would be no different than any other stretch of coast. You can still do the parkway at high tide, though.

Low and high tide are about 6 1/2 hours apart. If the morning is high tide on your day in St. John, you might still be able to squeeze in a visit in the early afternoon.

Here's the internet address of the Canadian Hydrological Service, which offers official tide times.

www.waterlevels.gc.ca/cgi-bin/tide-shc.cgi…

Make sure you use tables for October 2009 (tide times vary from day to day and year to year) and see that times are in Atlantic Daylight Time (which on the website is ADT (+3)) in effect through all of October.

David

capetien10@gmail.com

ohio
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Fundy Trail Parkway

Thank you so much. I think we will rent a car from Avis which I understand is close to pier.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Fundy Trail Parkway

Avis is the one I had in mind. Its office is within sight of the cruise pier.

David

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Fundy Trail Parkway

From a cruise ship, I'll be there Oct. 14. Will the tides be low this day to walk and check out the caves in St. Martins?

5. Re: Day trip to Fundy Trail Parkway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2010, 04:17