We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reversing River Question

Which Saint John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Reversing River Question

When is the best time to view the Falls, high tide, or low tide?

Also, same kind of question regarding seeing the beach caves in St. Martins. I assume low tide is best, but how low does the tide need to be? I'll be arriving via cruise ship on October 14, and I have a tide schedule. But, I am a little weak on the interpretation. Below is a cut and past for what I believe is the tide schedulef or Oct. 14. It appears the tide goes out starting around 10 am. But, how low does it need to be to be able to walk to the sea caves, or on the beach, and with regards to Reversing Falls, when is a good time to view?

Also, I've received an email from the company that takes passengers on a boat to the Reversing Falls. The offer both a jet boat experience, and sightseening experience. For sightseeing, the one we could be interested in departs at 2 pm. So, for Oct. 12, at 2 pm, it appears the tide will be low, at about 1.8 and down to 1.3 by 3 pm. With this tide schedule for this date, would there be much action to see at Reversing Falls if we were to take the senic tour. I thing they don't operate the scenic boat during rough water, so maybe there isn't much action at that time of the day. Any thoughts?

Also, I had hoped to rent a car and drive The Fundy Trail, but I've since learned the road closes for the season on October 12. Well, we arrive Oct. 14. Therefore, I would not be able to drive The Fundy Trail afterall, unless I took a tour, and they cost around $120 or more per person. Apparently, tour companies have permission to go on The Fundy Trail. I am still interested in renting a car, and driving to St. Martins, but is there anything you can suggest I might not miss while there?

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reversing River Question

Where is the location, street, to best view the Reversing Falls?

Jim Thorpe, PA
Level Contributor
8 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reversing River Question

I suggest that you contact Mr. Roy Flowers: royscab@hotmail.com

He provided us with a wonderful tour of Saint John and the Fundy Trail in his six passenger van for the flat rate of $50 per hour. The price is the same regardless of the number of passengers in the van. While on his tour I believe he told us that he is allowed to travel on the Trail when it is closed to private cars. Mr. Flowers impressed us as being trustworthy and genuinely concerned about providing a quality experience for us. He is also a lot of fun to talk to.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
46 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reversing River Question

The location is clearly marked, and I believe it is actually in West Saint John.

There are signs directing you to the place on both Highway 1 and Highway 100 (that crosses through the center of Saint John).

I don't know how it can be reached by public transportation, though. I was driving a rented car.

There is plenty of free parking space near the place.

I was not very impressed with the place. I have gone there during both the high tide and the low tide and noticed the changes in the flow direction of the water. During low tide, the flow is wilder, and I noticed whirlpools. The reversed flow during high tide was not that impressive.

With respect to the Fundy Trail. It is nice, but I wouldn't spend $120 for visiting it.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reversing River Question

Hi All,

Please note....

The Traveller has already come & gone (October 14, 2009).

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

5. Re: Reversing River Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2010, 07:16