We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

staying near the bay

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,274 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
staying near the bay

We are traveling from NH to PEI with a stop overnight in NB. We are considering anyplace between the Maine border and along the fundy coast...as far as or even a little further than St John.

Any thoughts on where would be a good stop?

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Saint John
Saint John
New Brunswick, Canada
New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,274 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: staying near the bay

I do realize that I asked this question on a previous post and I appreciated the replies but now I am wonderfing about the towns closer to St John or beyond, in the event we decided to drive a little further than the half way point of St Stephans/St Andrews. I would like to stay close to the shoreline.

Thanks

Edited: 12 June 2010, 18:58
Mentioned in this post
Saint John
Saint John
New Brunswick, Canada
Saint Andrews
Saint Andrews
New Brunswick, Canada
Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: staying near the bay

ok, have been giving this a little more thought! Check St. Martins. It is on the Bay of Fundy shores with miles of beaches and two covered bridges. It is the entrance to the Bay of Fundy Trail. There are several B&Bs that look highly recommended. This would get you much closer to PEI than my first recommendations of St. Andrews. The Salmon River B&B looks great!

Drive time is approx 4 1/2 hours from Bangor Maine. - don't forget the time change!

Mentioned in this post
Saint Andrews
Saint Andrews
New Brunswick, Canada
Bangor
Bangor
Maine
Waterside, Canada
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: staying near the bay

You could also follow Route 114 from Sussex (exit 211 on Route 1). This will take you out towards the Bay of Fundy and the village of Alma where there are many fine B&B's in the area. You can then visit Fundy National Park, Cape Enrage and Hopewell Rocks on your way through to Moncton on Route 114.

Alma is about a 3 hour drive from the Maine - New Brunswick Border.

Mentioned in this post
Fundy National Park
Fundy National Park
777 Reviews
Alma, Canada
Cape Enrage
Cape Enrage
358 Reviews
Waterside, Canada
Hopewell Rocks
Hopewell Rocks
2,019 Reviews
Hopewell Cape, Canada
Moncton
Moncton
New Brunswick, Canada
Maine
Maine
United States
New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,274 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: staying near the bay

Thanks for the suggestions. We decided to go for St Martins and booked at the Salmon River B&B. Looks great ...Alma was a great suggestion but it adds a bit more distance onto our trip and we have to be in PEI the next day. If we had more time I would go to Alma. What this really means is that I will just have to come back and spend time exploring !

5. Re: staying near the bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2010, 05:17