We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Arkansas, US to Nova Scotia and New Brunswick

Crossett, Arkansas
2 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Arkansas, US to Nova Scotia and New Brunswick

for our 50th. wedding anniversary. This will be our first trip to these areas.

We are most interested in natural sites, good food, and friendly faces.

We will be leaving Arkansas September 15, 2011., traveling through Vermont and Maine to see the fall colors, then on to take the ferry across to Nova Scotia. We plan to take three weeks for our total trip.

We would like suggestions on "should see" places and other helpful information, such as ferry travel time, cost, reservations, and schedules. We plan to stay at The Sherbrooke Inn after leaving Halifax.

Next, we will travel to New Brunswick

Have passports!

Thanks to anyone who responds.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,440 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Arkansas, US to Nova Scotia and New Brunswick

Congratulations on your anniversary! A wonderful milestone to celebrate with quite a trip!

The first thing I need to point out is there is no ferry from Maine to Nova Scotia. That was discontinued in 2010.

Having said that, you can just change the order of your planned destinations and things will be ok.

First of all, order the guide books from New Brunswick tourism at www.tourismnewbrunswick.ca and www.novascotia.com if you haven't already. These books are full of great information on what to see and stay in the area.

So, you can travel through Maine, along the coast would be pretty and then up into New Brunswick, crossing at St. Stephen. If you are looking for a wonderful place to stay in Calais Maine, just before you cross into Canada, check out the Greystone B&B, it is excellent, and on our list of 'must do' www.greystonecalaisme.com .

Remember as you cross over into Canada, the time will advance one hour to Atlantic time (good to remember if you have reservations). The Fundy Trail part of New Brunswick, home to Hopewell Rocks http://www.fundytrailparkway.com/ is beautiful and unique. Visit St. Martin's or Alma for great visitor choices.

You can catch a ferry to Nova Scotia in Saint John NB www.acadiaferry.com . It is a 3 hr crossing and will bring you into Digby NS, home of the world famous Digby Scallops. From there, travel less than 1 hr to Annapolis Royal, one of the first European settlements in North America, and home to the Historic Gardens http://www.annapolisroyal.com/ and full of charm and great B&Bs.

You have two choices to make: you can drive through the Annapolis Valley, including Wolfville, to visit some of our great wineries http://www.grandprewines.ns.ca/ and then onto Halifax, or you can choose to drive from Annapolis Royal to the South shore area of the province, home to Lunenburg, a Unesco world heritage site http://www.explorelunenburg.ca/ and home to the Bluenose schooner, featured on the Canadian dime. Spend a few days touring this area and then move on to Halifax. Lots to see and enjoy in Halifax! Great restaurants, lodging choices, walk the waterfront and visit Pier 21 and the Historic Properties.

After leaving the Sherbrooke Inn, I hope you have time left to visit Cape Breton. This part of Nova Scotia is stunning in its rugged beauty and the Cabot Trail http://www.cabottrail.com/ is well worth the trip.

When you are ready to leave Nova Scotia, rather than drive back to Digby and catch the ferry, drive through New Brunswick and back to the U.S that way for a different view of Maritime life and beauty.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,849 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Arkansas, US to Nova Scotia and New Brunswick

Hi Crossett!

For maximum leaf color, swing north in Vermont and New Hampshire. In coastal regions of Maine, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, the fall colors don't start until the last week of September. The reds reach their peak in the third weekend of October along the coast, earlier inland where frosts come sooner.

Across Maine, many people like the scenic but slow road US-2 from Berlin, NH through Skowhegan, ME. You'll find waterfalls, cosy rural scenery and slow driving.

If you like this scenery a lot, continue on ME-9 eastward from Bangor to Canada, a deeply rustic corner of Maine. I prefer, though, taking the new bridge over the Penobscot River at Bucksport, with its 42-storey observation tower, and then a stop in Acadia National Park and the resort town of Bar Harbor, ME.

In coastal New Brunswick, there's the very small resort town of St. Andrews, 20 miles from the border, charming but less busy than Bar Harbor. St. George, NB boasts a notable waterfall. At Pocologan, a hamlet perched on a cove overlooking the Bay of Fundy, is a trio of aging motels with an unsurpassed view of the sea on a clear morning.

The ferry from Maine to Nova Scotia has been eliminated. You could catch one from St. John, NB to Nova Scotia, but I'd never take it. This ferry is costly, not always convenient, and anyway it takes less time to drive to Halifax. Whern I hear about someone wishing for an Atlantic Canada ferry ride, I suggest the ferry from Pictou, Nova Scotia to Prince Edward Island, which is only 1 hour 15 minutes, over calmer water, and a lot cheaper.

Edited: 03 June 2011, 14:34
Crossett, Arkansas
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Arkansas, US to Nova Scotia and New Brunswick

Thanks for the great information! We will alter our plans to adjust to your suggestions.

4. Re: Driving from Arkansas, US to Nova Scotia and New Brunswick

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Saint John
Recent Conversations
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now