We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tolls

Newcastle Australia
Level Contributor
450 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
tolls

We are picking up a hire car in Saint John where we will stay several days before catching the ferry to Digby. After touring Nova Scotia we will return to New Brunswick returning the car in Moncton. Can someone advise if there are toll roads and if so how the toll is paid. Can it be paid on entry or exit or is payment only automated with a vehicle tag. Obviously we do not want to receive fees from the hire company for unpaid tolls. Information is appreciated.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tolls

Hi imagine2

There is a toll highway in Nova Scotia, known as the Cobequid Pass section of the Transcanada highway, between Amherst and Truro. A car is $4.00 each way, including all passengers. You can pay in cash and U.S. money is currently accepted at par.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,839 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tolls

Hi Newcastle!

In Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island we have three toll stretches:

- the Confederation Bridge between New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island, one of the world's ten longest bridges. (I didn't see PEI in your itinerary, and I strongly suggest you try to squeeze in a a day there; Prince Edward Island possesses more quaintness than the rest of the Canadian Maritimes combined.)

- the Cobequid Pass between Amherst and Truro, in Nova Scotia

- the Halifax harbor bridges.

All these are the kind where you can stop at a toll booth. On the Halifax harbor bridges, you can throw coins into a basket. The other two, you hand money (or credit card on the Confederation Bridge) to an attendant.

I bitterly remember the difficulty we had, as tourists, searching for some way to pay the toll on the Melbourne, Victoria, City Link! With no toll booths, we had to phone the telephone number. "Go to a Coles store," said the person. So we had to go out of our way to find the right supermarket, and get someone to help in Coles. We eventually were shown to a toll machine in Coles. Then we had to figure out how to operate the machine. It amounted to a disproportionate expendidure of time and trouble just to pay a small one-time toll, and I had to wonder what would have possessed the deep thinkers who devised the City Link toll system not to spend even a moment thinking about the difficulties they would inflict on tourists and other non- regular users of their brilliant system!

So from personal experience, I certainly understand why you ask this question!

Happy travels!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Edited: 09 June 2011, 09:52
Newcastle Australia
Level Contributor
450 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tolls

Thank you both for your information. David - I sympathise with you for the hassle you experienced in Melbourne. You are so right wondering who - how and why could such a user unfriendly toll system be implemented not only in Melbourne but also Sydney. We do not travel to Sydney very often but when we do it is a pain to us as well.

Once again thank you. The information obtained through Trip advisor forums is invaluable and certainly makes a lot of things clearer before arriving. We can not wait to visit your part of the world.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,839 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tolls

If sometime you should be talking to your state premier in New South Wales, tell him this about toll roads:

New Zealand had a similar problem on the Auckland Northern Gateway toll road. They solved it by putting a rest stop along the route. At the rest stop is a kiosk where casual visitors like me can swing by to pay the toll. Then they rent out space in the rest stop for small shops and snack places, which helps pay for everything.

You won't have that problem in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick or Prince Edward Island. Our corner of the world has no tags-only highways. You'll see special dedicated lanes for tag holders, but all through eastern Canada and the northeastern United States the turnpikes make sure to have one or more booths with an attendant at every toll plaza.

The nearest highway where visitors cannot pay cash at the toll plaza is Route 407 in Toronto, Ontario. I also ran into the problem in Texas. Not here, though. We're proud of our tradition of warm-handed, I mean warm-hearted hospitality, taking our guests' money in a waiting human hand!

David

Newcastle Australia
Level Contributor
450 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tolls

Your suggestion certainly deserves a letter at least to the Premier although it will probably end up in his too hard basket. I will compose one and advise you of the response I receive. I would not expect a quick one though.

I notice from your profile you have been to Australia even Newcastle!!!

6. Re: tolls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 17:17
Get answers to your questions about Saint John
Recent Conversations