We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Texas
7 posts
Save Topic
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

We will be staying in saint john for a week in June. Any suggestions on what we should do in town and what day trips we should take?

Thanks!

lorneville, nb...
Level Contributor
124 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Get a map, and take a drive up the Saint John River toward Gagetown, cross over onto the Kingston peninsula at Evandale, drive across to hampton (or bloomfield), and drive the old highway back along the Kennebecasis River to the city.

Always a beautiful drive, and lots of places to stop, lots of little ferries to take (they'll be marked on the map) and the best time of year to see the two river valleys, except for early October.

As for the city, go to the city market, then check out the victorian architecture on the streets that parallel King Street. SJ can be a grtty working city, but the buildings are impressive and the surrounding communities in every direction are great.

There's well-developed tourism assistance in the summer; you wont miss anything.

And bring a jacket.

Texas
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Thank you soooo much!! Very helpful!

Saint John
Level Contributor
4 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Grand Manan Island can be really nice too. It's a small island with several small villages. Mostly a fishing/tourism industry. There's a number of nice cottages and rental properties, and in summer and early fall the island is beautiful. There are day trips around kayaking, fishing, whale watching, etc. There's hiking too.

You can do it in a day from Saint John. The trick is to get the ferry schedules (available online, http://www.coastaltransport.ca/) and plan around the sailing times. If you have the time, it can also be a great place to overnight or weekend. (However, even in summertime, there are only a small handful of decent restaurants, so you might want to get a cottage with a kitchenette.)

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

St. Martin's and the Fundy Trail make a nice side trip from Saint John. I agree you'll need a jacket, too.

Saint John
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

A must is the Reversing Falls jet boat ride. Whenever I have out of town guest come stay with me I always take them there.

http://www.jetboatrides.com/

Saint John
Level Contributor
4 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Be careful before committing to the ride, though. When the pulp mill decides to open up the waste pipes, that water turns pretty toxic. The ride isn't a great idea for anyone with a weak neck either. The pilots aren't known for their safety-mindedness.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

And don't forget to try our seafood...you haven't lived till you've had lobster and scallops from the area. Locally, there's a pretty nice park right in the city...Rockwood Park has swimming (though in June water's a bit cold), hiking trails, petting zoo, etc.

Berry Mills, New...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

I highly recommend the Holiday Inn on Main Street. A really nice place to stay!

Maine
Level Contributor
756 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Fundy Trail and St. Martin's are a great day trip. Beautiful drive and great ocean views. The Reversing Falls Jet boats were awesome but not reccomended for anyone with health problems such as back, neck problems. It is an adrenaline rush for sure.

Great Britain
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

A day trip down to St. Andrews isn't out of reach, either. The coastal route that you take has some fabulous scenery & be sure & stop for lunch (or dinner on the way back) at Ossies (or is it Ozzies?) Their fish & chips is amazing! There's tonnes to do in St. Andrews & I'd definately recommend a boat ride out with Fundy Tide Runners. Visit the Algonquin Hotel - they do an great sunday brunch!

Get answers to your questions about Saint John
Recent Conversations