We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suggested driving route

rancho Palos...
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Topic
suggested driving route

We will be in Saint John via cruise ship on 9/25/2012 from 7am - 4pm. I looked up the high/low tides that day and they are at 8:22am (high) and 2:38pm (low). We plan to rent a car (from 8am-3pm) and see the sights. Can you please suggest a route for us and times we should be at certain locations, especially to see the unique tide phenomenon? We're interested primarily in seeing the reversing falls, caves of St Martin and Fundy Trail Parkway. Where are the covered bridges? Any other scenic spots we should stop for? We were wondering if we should also take the city bus tour in the afternoon, but that might be cutting it too close. Thanks!

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,768 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: suggested driving route

Hi PV!

Based on the times you gave, here are my comments:

- Since you won't get the chance to see Reversing Falls during the time of incoming tide, I'd go there first thing, while the tide is still high. Until about 1030 a.m. that day, Tuesday September 25, 2012 (and other readers please remember, the times change day to day and year to year), you'll see the phenomenon of the sea water flowing inland from the ocean. The earlier you arrive, the stronger the flow. After about 10:45 a.m., the ocean will have equalized with the river and the sea water begin gradually to drain from the river valley. (There's nothing unusual about a river draining INTO the ocean, after all.)

- Have an early lunch at St. Martins. The best time for seeing the effect of tide there is between high and low water, when the tide is rapidly going out or coming in. You can go down on the stony beach. Stand at the edge of the water. After as little as a minute, you'll find that the water is noticeably receding.

- The Fundy Trail Parkway has splendid ocean view, but little tidal phenomena for you. Visit it after you eat.

- Stop at St. Martins on the way back from the Fundy Trail. By this time, the tide is pretty well out, and you can easily enter the sea caves. They aren't like limestone caves, in which you can walk seemingly for miles, but just large notches in the sandstone. Some find them disappointing for that reason, but at low tide you can go in.

By this time, you'll have to think about heading back to the city to drop off your rental car. (Why an hour before you have to be back, by the way? Is your depot far from the cruise pier?)

In the morning, after seeing Reversing Falls and before you move on to St. Martins, you'll have an hour or so to poke around in downtown St. John, NB.

Happy travels, and I hope you have good weather. Late September is the time when we're most likely to get sunny, dry, not-too-chilly days.

David

capetien10@gmail.com

rancho Palos...
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: suggested driving route

Thank you very much for your recommendations, David! I really appreciate it.

Do you think we should try to see Irving Nature Park and/or Rockwood Park too or would we be rushing things too much?

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,768 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: suggested driving route

Are you rushing too much? If you are, you have all evening to relax on the cruise ship!

If you've been to see St. Martins and the Fundy Trail Parkway, the Irving Nature Park would probably be overkill. It consists of a salt marsh and hiking through a wooded park.

Given your itinerary, I'd probably aim for Rockwood Park instead. It consists of a zoo (not really one to write home about), a park and, nearby, a cable ferry across Kennebecasis Bay to the suburban Kingston Peninsula.

Since you've got wheels, I'd play it by ear. Should you find yourself with time on your hands, you can always drive to Rockwood Park (or to the Martello Tower across the harbor in west St. John, or the big-box stores of McAllister Place, or just stroll a bit in the city's downtown). My guess is that your time will pass more quickly than you might like, though, and in that case you'll drop off the car, then spend any remaining time wandering the streets near the cruise pier.

David

Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: suggested driving route

Just to add the Millidgeville ferry is not a cable ferry. It is free powered.

5. Re: suggested driving route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Saint John
Recent Conversations