We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on place to stay for one night

Boston
Level Contributor
82 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on place to stay for one night

Would appreciate suggestions for a one-night stay in Saint John or nearby areas (around 100 dollars) - on our way to Baddeck, Nova Scotia. We are a middle aged couple driving from Boston, MA and expect to reach the Saint John area in the afternoon on July 4th. We are looking for a nice, scenic location (does not have to be inside a town), where we can spend a quiet night before heading out to Baddeck (via Hopewell Rocks) the next day. Any other suggestions also welcome. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Raghu

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,768 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on place to stay for one night

Scenic? Not inside a town?

Here's a suggestion that rarely makes the guidebooks. Pocologan!

Pocologan is a tiny village. Its claim to fame is that it has a couple of motels, the Clipper Shipp [not a misspelling] and the Bay Breeze, both sitting directly on the open Bay of Fundy. You can't find sea views like this in the city, and certainly not within your price range.

The Bay Breeze also features a modest-looking, but surprisingly good restaurant. It even comes with a small Greek menu.

Pocologan is about 30 miles west of St. John, NB. Eastbound, take Exit 69 off the Route 1 freeway. Follow Rt. 175 east about 2 1/2 miles and you'll see the motels. They stand out along the 2-lane paved highway beside the ocean.

Westbound from St. John, you'd take Exit 86.

Happy travels!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Edited: 16 June 2013, 02:10
Boston
Level Contributor
82 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on place to stay for one night

Thank you very much Capetein - I have booked myself for one night on July 4 at the Clipper Shipp. I would like your advice on one other matter - I hope you will be kind enough to throw some light on this.

On Jul 5, I want to drive through the Fundy Trail, visit the Hopewell Rocks and reach Aberdeen in Cape Breton in the evening. I am interested in watching the much acclaimed high/low tides and walk the ocean floor at St Martins Caves and/or Hopewell Rocks. According to the tidal calendar I have checked online, the high tide at Hopewell on Jul 5 is at 10:53 AM, giving Ocean floor access till about 8:30 AM and after 2 PM. The high tide at St Martin caves seems to be about half an hour earlier but I did not see a specific timetable for the caves access. My question would be, given that I would need about 70 minutes to drive from Pocologan to St Martins and possibly another 30 minutes to Hopewell, should I attempt to use the low tide before 8:30 AM (early morning) or leave it till after 2 PM (to walk around) and still be able to reach Aberdeen by about 7 PM? I would also like to have a few hours to explore the Fundy Trail before heading off to Aberdeen.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,768 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on place to stay for one night

I'm afraid you may be greatly underestimating the time between St. Martin and Hopewell Cape. I don't know how you'd manage to cover that distance in under two hours. You must drive north all the way to Sussex, then either east to Moncton or southeast through Fundy National Park.

Although it's not best for the sea caves, the incoming tide at St. Martins is the best period for watching the tide advancing gradually up the beach. Along Fundy Trail, high water will not spoil your views as you explore the cliffs.

Count on a mimimum of 6 hours, with no dawdling along the way, between Moncton and Aberdeen, near Whycocomagh, Nova Scotia. It looks to me like you'll probably visit St. Martins one day, and Hopewell Rocks a different time, such as on your way back.

David

Edited: 18 June 2013, 16:01
Boston
Level Contributor
82 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on place to stay for one night

Hello David,

Thanks for the guidance. If you have the time, please let me know if the following plan will work:

On Jul 5, I would like to leave Clipper Shipp very early in the morning and be at Saint Martins Caves before 7 AM to be able to walk near the Caves (low tide is predicted at 4:49 AM and high tide at 11:03 AM). I would then spend time exploring the Fundy Trail, see the high tide around 11 AM and then head off to Aberdeen, Nova Scotia via Moncton, hoping to reach Aberdeen by 6 or 7 PM. May I assume that entry to the Saint Martins Caves is (always) open at 7 AM?

On my way back from NS on July 7th, I will plan to visit Hopewell Rocks late afternoon, around 4 PM (low tide predicted at 6:53 PM).

Thanks as ever for your advice.

Raghu

5. Re: Advice on place to stay for one night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2014, 05:16