We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruiseship docked in St John - What to do for the day?

Neutral Bay...
Level Contributor
243 posts
188 reviews
Save Topic
Cruiseship docked in St John - What to do for the day?

Hi,

We are a young couple 25 & 30 looking for things to do in St John for the day we will be there from 7am - 5.30pm, we primarily took the cruise to experience the Fall Colours. We so far have sorted all ports except for St John originally I wanted to take a tour/car hire out to Hopewell Rocks however we are in St John on 15 October so it will be too late there are no tours and doing it on your own sounds risky with the tides, visitor centre not open and the distance to drive there.

I have done a lot of reading and really cant come across anything too exciting, of course there are the reversing falls so we will most likely check them out but apart from that we are looking for suggestions. We would be happy to hire a car if need be and drive somewhere which is what we are doing in the other ports (i.e. visiting Lunenberg, Peggys Cove etc from Halifax) we just want to be busy doing something exciting!

Like I said the primary reason for the cruise was Fall Colors so if there is a suggestion on where we go to visit some picturesque scenery we would love to hear it, really we are open to anything.

Looking forward to your suggestions!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruiseship docked in St John - What to do for the day?

Have you checked out your cruise ship's offerings?? They may have a tour of Hopewell Rocks that may be of interest...

Neutral Bay...
Level Contributor
243 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruiseship docked in St John - What to do for the day?

Yeah I have already checked that & they don't it seems that we are docking a few days after the visitor centre closes so I guess that is why they aren't doing tours out there.

I just came across the Fundy Trail Parkway this could be an option for the day...any feedback on this?

Neutral Bay...
Level Contributor
243 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruiseship docked in St John - What to do for the day?

Actually looks like the Fundy Trail is closed 3 days before we dock also so thats out of the question.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,768 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruiseship docked in St John - What to do for the day?

Hi NSW!

A couple of points:

- As you have found, the Fundy Trail Parkway closes for the end of season on Monday October 13, Canadian Thanksgiving Day. I'm not sure what you would find if you just parked and walked in a little way anyway. The whole parkway is over 12 km long, but the sea cliffs start very close to the gate. This is the sort of outdoor park where it shouldn't bother anyone if you wander in.

- About 10 minutes drive from the Fundy Trail Parkway is St. Martins, NB, with a pebbly beach. If the tide is coming in or out when you're there, you can actually notice the advance or retreat of the water over just one minute. There is nothing dangerous about the Fundy tides. Your normal walking pace is hundreds of times faster than the tide.

- Like an itinerary that gets you to these places and also some fall colors? October 15 is when the reds, the best of the leaves, are at their peak in southern New Brunswick! Here's what I'd do.

Drive east from St. John NB on Route 111 to St. Martins and the Fundy Trail. When you're done there, turn north on Route 111 through fine wooded hill country toward Sussex. When you are finished in Sussex, a farm town with some stores and restaurants, return to St. John either on the Route 1 freeway, or some of the by-ways running parallel to it, like Route 121.

Each of the three legs of this itinerary takes you at least 45 minutes driving, plus stops.

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,768 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruiseship docked in St John - What to do for the day?

Like covered bridges? I bet you don't have any covered bridges in New South Wales. (The Sydney Harbor Tunnel doesn't count!)

Unlike most of the world, New Brunswick didn't tear down its covered bridges when they became obsolete. They're still maintained for tourists, and most are still safe to drive over. If you wanted to see the longest covered bridge in the world, 391 meters long, it's 230 km to the north of the cruise pier at Hartland. It crosses the St. John River, and you're allowed to drive over it.

New Brunswick is dotted with old covered bridges. For instance, you'll see one on the road to the Fundy Trail Parkway, though this one no longer takes cars.

If you go to Sussex, there are three covered bridges in just a small area near Sussex. All are on paved roads, each within three kilometers of the freeway. The three bridges are nearby to the east. Pay careful attention:

Driving north on Route 111 from St. Martins, stay on 111 by following the signs around the east side of Sussex. (You can go back into town later.) Now watch for the signs for Route 114 - Fundy National Park. Go east on Route 114 about 2 km or so to Plumweseep Road and turn left for Plumweseep. The first covered bridge is just around the bend.

Continue across the covered bridge and take the next left, a paved road called Plumweseep Cross Road. Follow Plumweseep Cross Road to the Stop sign at its end. To your left, down the hill is the second bridge, closed to cars but you can park and safely walk onto it.

When you're done, turn around and drive north, up the hill, past Plumweseep Cross Road, until you reach a paved road to the left, Roachville Road. Turn left. The third Bridge is 2.5 km SW southwest on Roachville Road. After you're done, continue across the bridge Roachville to the freeway, or backtrack to the second bridge I mentioned to go into Sussex.

David

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,554 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruiseship docked in St John - What to do for the day?

Maybe these will help:

boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php…

boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php…

www.tomsportguides.com

7. Re: Cruiseship docked in St John - What to do for the day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 August 2014, 01:05
Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cruiseship docked in St John - What to do for the day?

What happened to my post? I answered the question as to the best available route for viewing fall foliage in the Saint John area and backed up with visual verification .... and it has been deleted.

Neutral Bay...
Level Contributor
243 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cruiseship docked in St John - What to do for the day?

Thanks for all your replies, I think we are interested in seeing the Sea Caves. I found this link which shows the tides would this be applicable for the sea caves too?

stmartinscanada.com/pdf/Tide_Schedule_2014.p…

So in order to walk on the sea bed on 15 October we should arrive by say 11am for low tide at midday? How long does it remain walkable would that be until high tide comes in at 6.16pm? If that is the case we could come anytime between 12pm-6pm to see low tide and if we wanted to see high tide it would be anywhere between 6am-midday?

Sorry for all the questions, I have no idea when it comes to tides!

Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cruiseship docked in St John - What to do for the day?

Optimal sea floor walking would be approximately 2 hours before and after low tide. Optimal high tide viewing would be approximately 2 hours before or after high tide, You could probably push either scenario by 45 minutes or so.

Fall foliage should be at it's peak in and around Saint John at that time in mid-October. If you rent a car you could take some very interesting routes involving underwater cable ferries, a means of transportation that was invented here in NB back in the early 1900s.

For example, you could head to Grand Bay-Westfield and take the Westfield Ferry over to Hardings Point and the Kingston Peninsula. From there, drive along Route 845 to Kingston. From Kingston head north on Route 850 to Belleisle Bay and then take the Belleisle Bay ferry (the longest underwater cable car ferry cross in the world) to Kars and then head eastward/southward along Route 124 through Hatfield Point, Sprngfield and to Norton. From there follow Route 121 into Hampton and then take Route 100 connecting to Route 1 back into Saint John.

If it's a 'good' season for foliage you could see some of the most insane, jaw-dropping deciduous eye candy that the world has to offer us. Here are some of images that were mostly taken along that route ....

derekgrantdigital.com/slideshow324612.html

derekgrantdigital.com/gondola-point-cable-fe…

Edited: 18 August 2014, 13:21