We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

puffins

houston, tx
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
puffins

we want to see the puffins. when do suggest as the best time to accomplish that?

we like to stay in 4-5 star hotel with air conditioning -- what do you suggest?

thanks!

jodel and jim

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,351 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: puffins

I hope someone more knowledgeable than me will come along soon. Until then, here's a nice website for you--Hinterland Who's Who on Atlantic Puffins:

http://www.hww.ca/hww2.asp?id=26&cid=7

As you can see by the map there, the best place to go is the Witless Bay Islands, where many boat tours are offered to see puffins. I had a lovely experience up seeing large numbers of puffins up close (using a spotting scope) near the Cape Bonavista lighthouse in July some years ago. This could be a good option if you get seasick easily, because you get a good view from on land.

As a birdwatcher (but *not* one from Newfoundland!) I have a strong suspicion that if you wait until August (or possibly even the end of July) you may find the breeding colonies are empty because the chicks are mature enough to go to sea, and thus puffins are a lot harder to find. However, that's just based on my knowledge of the patterns of the land birds that I'm most familiar with.

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: puffins

Witless Bay is THE place to see 10's of thousands of puffins. As noted above there are several boat tours that visit the Witless Bay islands. This area is a 30 minute drive south of St. John's. You can get your 'four star hotels' in St. John's. The Fairmont is a good bet.

Early to mid -July is ideal. As noted above the birds start moving off the breeding islands by early August. This is also a good time of year for Humpback Whales at Witless Bay.

Jerry

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: puffins

We saw puffins galore , off Witless Bay, towards the end of August last year as well as several bald headed eagles. Wonderful.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
262 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: puffins

Yes, July.

We were there in late August and early September, and there were none left. No puffins, no whales, no nothing. We still enjoyed it immensely though. NF rocks!!

By the way, I doubt that air conditioning is ever needed in Newfoundland. Even during midsummer the see breeze will keep it quite cool. You'll freeze with the AC on. :-)

toronto,on
Level Contributor
390 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: puffins

We went near the end of June, and saw so many puffin! I was in heaven. THey were one of the reasons I wanted to go to Newfoundland. They are wonderful little birds..and the tours from Witless Bay are great. They really explain a lot about the Puffins.

6. Re: puffins

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 23:17