We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best times to travel

Mount Vernon, New...
Level Contributor
103 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Best times to travel

Hi - I'm interested in travelling to Newfoundland and Labrador, but have only limited experience in locating good places to go to, to stay at, etc., and my experience is limited to Italy. When do the trees start changing, in general? Mid-August, Late August, or when? Are there local folk festivals? I could go on and on, but will be grateful to anyone for some first-hand information. Thanks, Bill

Mentioned in this post
Newfoundland
Newfoundland
Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
Labrador
Labrador
Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best times to travel

Bill, there are lots of local folk festivals throughout the summer. The big Nfld and Labrador festival is in St. John's in early August each year. It has a great vibe and super music.

Leaf colour change is not a particularly big deal in Nfld but the annual wildlife spectacle certainly is.

In July in the St. John's area you can see literally 10's of thousands of seabirds; have a good chance to see whales and also caribou while enjoying beautiful scenery and amazingly friendly hospitality.

cheers

Jerry

Mentioned in this post
Labrador
Labrador
Mount Vernon, New...
Level Contributor
103 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best times to travel

Thanks, Jerry - your kind and enthusiastic words will be duly noted, and I'm going to find out more about the local folk festivals, etc. ASAP. Be well, and enjoy your NEXT trip! Bill

3. Re: Best times to travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2014, 09:48
4. Re: Best times to travel

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

5. Re: Best times to travel

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

Removed on: 21 February 2008, 06:23
qxy
London, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best times to travel

I 2nd that leaf colour change isn't a big change; in NL's boreal climate, the vegetation consists of mainly coniferous trees and weird bushes & shrubs.

I definitely wouldn't go any earlier than June if you want to get any semblance of pleasant weather (IMO May is still pushing it a little, LOL). Earlier in the summer, you have icebergs & blueberries; later in the summer, you have the Regatta Festival (a must-see for early Aug). Whale & puffin watching tours are something you shouldn't miss while there and last from May past August (Newfoundlanders are an intrepid lot undaunted by weather). There are local festivals all over the place. A few from my bay's area (almost everyone has a bay in NL) are Dildo Days (named after the place of its location, Dildo, naturally) and the Brigus Blueberry Festival.

However, the best advice that I can possibly give you won't come from me at all. I highly recommend the NL Travel guide, which you order, or just read online (but you should order it anyway) from:

http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/

It provides a wealth of listings of accomodations, festivals (which can help give you a sense of what time you want to go), and highlights. My family never travels in Newfoundland without it, and my mom's from there! I could go on and on about places you should see, but the guide will be much more helpful about it.

Hope that helps and enjoy the trip, b'y!

Mentioned in this post
Newfoundland
Newfoundland
7. Re: Best times to travel

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best times to travel

Hello Bill

Maybe i can help you, it all depends on what time of year you would like to go to Newfoundland & labrador

if you are interested in folk festivals,then Augest is a good time there is various festivals all over NL.If you like you can try www.gov.nl.ca this will bring you to the information you are looking for.

There are alot of options for you here and it depends on what you are into but i am sure you will find it in Newfoundland & Labrador

In the meantime i am going to itlay in sept maybe you can give me some insight on that.

TAKE CARE AND THE BEST OF LUCK.

DAVE

Mentioned in this post
Newfoundland
Newfoundland
Toronto, Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best times to travel

Great choice! Newfoundland & Labrador is a wonderful province with lots to see and do!! As per the other posts, the earlier summer months May & June is when the icebergs role in, but the weather gets a little warmer into July and August and even September is a great month! You do see more color change on the west coast and central NL, but that would be in September or later. Anytime of year is beautiful though!

The later months are also when you will come across more festivals and events in the many communities across the province. Although no matter when you arrive you are sure to have a great time! While you are waiting for your travel guide, the tourism website has a search function for searching out festivals/events by region, date and type which should be helpful!

newfoundlandlabrador.com/PlanATrip/WhatToDo/…

As for traveling and booking as you go, that is an option, but you may risk getting stuck somewhere with no where to stay. Some of the smaller communities may have only 1-2 options and it would no fun to get stranded! Especially if the next community is a couple of hours away. There are companies that can help you plan and book your driving vacation that even get unlimited mileage on car rentals (something you definitely have to book ahead of time - and many car co's wont give you many kms to work with - this province is BIG and you will need them), one is Maxxim Vacations, and that might make things much easier!

Let us know how you make out! Happy traveling!

10. Re: Best times to travel