We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary suggestions needed

New Hampshire
3 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary suggestions needed

Hi

My wife and I will be going to Newfoundland this summer for 11 days from the end of June -early July. We are going to squeeze alot into these days, Let me know if you think this works. Because of time, cultural events, museums, and historic areas will have to wait to next time. We want to absorb all the nature and wildlife we can. Here is our tenative itinerary

Day # 1 Arrive in St. John get rental car enjoy local pub and night life

Day #2 Head to Witless Bay take boat tour (recommendations) afternoon continue on Irish loop look for caribou spend night around St.Mary

Day #3 Cape Mary Ecological Reserve spend night in Placentia

Day #4 Head to Trinity ( what to do) spend night

Day#5 Head to Twillingate in the afternoon sightsee

Day #6 Twillingate take boat tour (suggestions) see icebergs, whales and puffins

Day #7 Drive to Gros Morne

Day #8 Western Brook Pond boat tour

Day #9 Hike Table lands

Day #10 Sea kayak (suggestions)

Day # 11 Fly home from Deer Lake

Let me know of any must see places, things to do and great places to eat along our journey

Thanks RJS

O'Brien's Whale and Bird Tours Inc.
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Boat Tours
Gatherall's Puffin and Whale Watch
Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Photography Tours
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary suggestions needed

For Trinity, have a look at the Rising Tide Theatre. They convert the entire town into their stage during the summer. They also have really good evening performances -

http://www.risingtidetheatre.com/

Elliston, up the Bonavista Peninsula from Trinity, has puffins (and also root cellars) -

http://www.rootcellars.com/

For restaurants in Trinity, we really liked the Artisan Inn -

http://www.artisaninntrinity.com/main.html

We also stayed at Campbell House, which is part of the overall Artisan Inn group of accommodation.

Have you seen this website? A useful guide and map can be ordered by clicking on the right-hand side -

http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/

Overall, be prepared for a lot of driving with your itinerary. We only went as far as Twillingate. We found that we could make very good time on Highway 1. However, the secondary highways, although in good condition were slow with all the ups and downs, arounds and abouts, and slowing down for small towns. (We did, however, enjoy the journey!)

Edited: 09 February 2010, 23:54
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary suggestions needed

Nearly forgot -

We took O'Brien's Tours to the Witless Bay reserve because we understood their boats to be the most stable. We really enjoyed the trip.

However, at the breakfast table where we were staying in St. John's, other people talked about tours with Gatheralls and seemed equally pleased.

I believe that there are alsoo ecological tours by zodiac if that interests you. There was some discussion of them in a thread last summer. If you search "zodiac", you may be able to find out more.

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary suggestions needed

Hi,

A couple of thoughts. If you take a morning Witless Bay tour it will be be noonish or closer to 1pm when you leave Bay Bulls. O'Briens does a good job there with some local culture and music, and of course the seabirds. You will be a bit on the early side for Humpback Whales but they are not impossible. Leaving at this time would cause you to have a bit of a rushed trip over toward CAPE ST. MARY'S [not St. Mary or the village of St. Mary's]

My suggestion would be to take your time and perhaps just go as far as Trepassey the first night. This should allow you time that afternoon to maybe visit the Cape Pine barrens and St. Shotts area looking for caribou. The Avalon herd has decreased greatly in the past several years due to predation and disease but there are still some caribou around. The little track road down to Cape Pine lighthouse can be good for them and is also a wonderful place to get out and walk on the barrens [which you absolutely must do. The botany of this hyper-oceanic barren is absolutely fascinating and there are some interesting birds around such as Willow Ptarmigan [not common and not particularly easy to spot].

Have to go now, but will continue later.

Jerry

Minnesota
Level Contributor
379 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary suggestions needed

I know you were going to wait on some things, but either Day One or Day Two there are a couple of things I wouldn't pass up. Cape Spear and Signal Hill are really worth the time. There is history but also both are spectacular settings. Also, we were in St John's at this time last June and the Botanical Gardens in Pippy Park were absolutely gorgeous with great azaleas at peak bloom.

On the Irish Loop I would do the Ferryland Lighthouse hike. It's a short hike to a scenic point. As an added treat there was a grounded ice berg in the cove behind the lighthouse.

We stayed at Rolling Hills B & B in neighboring Dunfield when we were in the Trinity area. Cheaper than Trinity accommodations, and the host, Ed, is a wonderfully entertaining man who grew up there and is a trove of knowledge. The Dock Restaurant in Trinity had decent, reasonable food. Ate there twice. In Trinity East we took the Skerwink Trail Hike. It's spectacular with sea stacks, coves, points, and a wonderful view of Trinity across the bay. Don't miss the puffins at Elliston. They were one of the highlights of the trip for us. It is hit and miss but we were there during a week when you could literally walk up to dozens of them on the cliffs.

One tip for the Western Brook Pond boat ride. We had a perfect day with a ribbon of fog in the fjord, sunshine, and virtually no wind so the reflections were outstanding. We were also crowded like sardines. The only way I got to take some unobstructed pictures were when a kind gentleman offered me a place on the railing for a while. Otherwise, I had to hold my camera up and hope people's heads weren't in the way. Get to the front of the line if there are a lot of people. Otherwise you have no chance to sit on top or be in the front of the boat. There was a second boat available but a crew member just smirked when asked if it was going to be used.

Not sure how far you're going on Tablelands Hike but I really wasn't that impressed. It's barren but to get up into the really big rocks is more of an effort than we wanted to make. And we consider ourselves in good shape and are hikers. Would recommend the Loft Restaurant in Woody Point for a meal.

I hope you have the same kind of trip we did. We absolutely hated to leave Newfoundland because we had such a great time.

5. Re: Itinerary suggestions needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2010, 08:17