We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice for our week in NFL

toronto
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Topic
advice for our week in NFL

My family and I are heading to NFL for a week this summer and I've never been before, and would love all the advice and help I can get. When I go on this site and read what other people have done, I want to do it all, but I realize I'll have to cut that back a bit:) We are are taking the long ferry over to Argentia over night on July 26th, so will be arriving before lunch on the 27th. We are taking the short ferry from Port Aux Basques back to N Sydney on Aug 4th in early afternoon. So we have a good solid week to see as much as we possibly can. I would love to get a day in Labrador in as well if possible. We are 2 adults and our 2 sons age 8 and 11. Some things I know we'd like to include are seeing whales and iceburgs (if still possible that late in the season), seeing puffins, doing some of the picturesque hikes (that are suitable with the kids), letting the kids b vikings for a day, seeing some of the national parks......etc. Looking at the map I'm thinking it makes the most sense for us to drive in a bit of a loop that begins at Argentia and ends at Port Aux Basque. I am open to any and all suggestions!!!! Places to see, things to do, places to stay, great restaurants, etc. Any and all advice VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice for our week in NFL

Ummm, I think it's really great that you are so enthused about seeing the beautiful province of Newfoundland. We went last year in June for a couple of weeks and had a wonderful time. However, I think that your plans are a tad ambitious for 7 days. Here is a thread that you might find helpful -

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154962-i754-k3403…

If you have not already ordered the information from the Newfoundland Tourism folks noted in the first post of the thread, you should do so. We found it really useful.

Depending on your interests, you might want to confine your holiday to either the east side of Newfoundland, i.e., the Avalon Peninsula, St. John's, etc. or the west side, i.e., Gros Morne National Park, Viking settlement. Otherwise, you will be seeing the province in only the most superficial way (and spending a lot of time driving which your kids might not appreciate).

Quite honestly, I don't see you getting to Labrador, whatever you decide to do. It's just too big a chunk to bite off in the time you have. Just tell yourselves that you will be back some day.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: advice for our week in NFL

With 7 days it makes sense to miss St John's and the east and make a loop from Argentia to the west and north and then drop down to Port aux Basques.

This is a good site for checking distances and driving times to make sure they are reasonable.

…gov.nl.ca/DataTools/…Default.aspx

A suggestion which will meet most of your requirement would be to drive from Argentia up to Trinity/Bonavista area for your first 2 nights. This will take about 3 hours. You can do whale watching tours from here. Have a look here for some whale watching suggestions:

trinityvacations.com/trinity/…whales.html

And for puffins here:

http://www.puffins.ca/index.htm

Then drive to Rocky Harbour for 2 nights . This is a long drive and will take 7-8 hours without stops. Spend the next day around Gros Morne National Park where there is lots of good walking:

pc.gc.ca/pn-np/…activ2d.aspx

One suggestion is the walk to Western Brook Pond and the boat trip.

http://www.bontours.ca/thetours/

Next day drive to St Anthony area for 1 night. This will take 4-5 hours plus stops. Spend the next day doing the 'Viking bit' at L'Anse aux Meadows and Norstead if time allows

pc.gc.ca/eng/lhn-nhs/nl/meadows/index.aspx

http://www.norstead.com/

If you are wanting to visit Labrador for the day then drive to St Barbe for the next night. This is a couple of hours drive from St Anthony so you should have plenty of time for the Vikings.

Plan to be at St Barbe on a Sunday or Thursday night so you can catch the 8am ferry on a Monday or Friday Morning.

…gov.nl.ca/ferryservices/…j_pollo.html

Catch the last ferry back at 3.30. This will give you long enough to drive to Red Bay and back.

Then drive south for your final night - stopping in Rocky Harbour/Deer Lake area. This will take 3 - 31/2 hours from St Barbe which could make it quite late to book into your accommodation but means you have time to get to Port aux BAsque next day for the ferry.

Next morning head for Port au Basque - allow 3-4 hours plus stops for this. Early afternoon ferry back to Nova Scotia.

There is a lot of driving, but it should be doable....

Eleanor

toronto
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: advice for our week in NFL

Wow, thanks so much to you both for your help! After reading both your posts I REALLY want to go for more time, but am not sure hubbies work schedule will allow!

Any ideas as to whether we will still be able to see icebergs if we are there end of July beginning of Aug?

thanks to all for the help so far! I need all the help i can get!!!!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: advice for our week in NFL

Hi haveb0yswilltravel,

RE - ICEBERGS

As per the Newfoundland & Labrador Tourism Brochure entitled "Whales, Seabirds & Icebergs"...

<< The best viewing times are in the Spring and Early Summer. >>

And along what is known as Iceberg Alley.

RE - PUFFINS

<< You'll find the largest Atlantic Puffin Colony in North America just south of St. John's at the Witless Bay Ecological Reserve. Accessible by tour boat, the reserve is home to several other seabirds... >>

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: advice for our week in NFL

We went in June (latter part) because we understood that late June was a really good time to see icebergs (and we were not disappointed). This is consistent with the info provided by Wine-4-2.

However, this question has come up from time to time on this forum and I think there are posts from others who have seen icebergs at different times later than June. It might take a bit of work, but if you plug "icebergs" into the search engine and then recategorize the responses by date (rather than relevance), you may be able to find those responses. I cannot be sure, but I think that someone reported seeing a fair number of icebergs off St. Antony's (near the Viking settlement) in August (but do check to make sure that I am recalling this properly).

Given your time constraints, you may be able to see puffins (as well as root cellars) at Elliston, which is within driving distance of Trinity. Here is the website -

http://www.rootcellars.com/

toronto
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: advice for our week in NFL

Thanks a lot itchyfeet. This is very helpful!! I DO have the tourism guide, as well as the Frommers guide to NFL and Lab, so I am aware that the "season" for iceburgs is late spring early summer. I was just hoping there would be people on this site who, as you said, may have some insight on where I might still see some if I'm later in the season. I will check into all your suggestions!! Very much appreciated!!!

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: advice for our week in NFL

Best chance of seeing them in August (assuming there are still some around ) is probably up round St Anthony's as it is furthest north.

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: advice for our week in NFL

Hi,

Just noticed your post and the responses. I know that itchyfeet090 has been to NL but I don't believe the other folks offering advice have actually visited the the province. Will get back to you with a few suggestions that should help you have an enjoyable vacation, even though you will be doing a lot of driving.

cheers-Jerry

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: advice for our week in NFL

Geographic

I am one of the people you are having a pop at. You are right I haven't visited Newfoundland yet but have spent the last six months doing detailed research for our trip later this year. I feel that I do have some expertise in planning and researching a holiday which may be of help to others.

By the way I am still waiting for you to come back to me with information about when the gannets leave Cape St Mary :

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154962-i754-k3432…

Eleanor

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: advice for our week in NFL

Eleanor, you can expect to see gannets at Cape St. Mary's until mid -September, but the other seabirds will be pretty much all gone.

And I wasn't 'taking a pop at you' just stating a fact. Much can be learned from checking out an area on the internet, reading tourism brochures etc but there is no substitute for first -hand experience. Especially first hand experience from someone who does not have an agenda or something to promote.This is just common sense. Your enthusiasm is wonderful and it looks like you are planning a great trip.

cheers-Jerry