We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lack of response to questions

new york
8 posts
Save Topic
lack of response to questions

I am traveling to Newfoundland, and have found the responses very helpful. For some reason there does not seem to be any responses to most questions the past week. Is the page working?

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lack of response to questions

Hi sunshine3366;

The people who reply to questions on the forums are users / members just like you and I. Perhaps the people who frequent the forum are busy, or perhaps the just don't have an answer to your question(s).

Also, you have posted on the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador forums, similar to a US state. Your question may attract more attention on the city specific forum for the area that you are asking about.

Best Regards

Ontario, Canada
Destination Expert
for Sudbury
Level Contributor
564 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lack of response to questions

It was also a long weekend in Canada. The first long weekend of the summer and the weather has been fantastic...people are probably just off their computers and out enjoying the weekend.

Cheers.

Newfoundland
Level Contributor
167 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: lack of response to questions

If TA users didn't go on vacation regularly it would defeat the purpose of this site :)

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,724 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lack of response to questions

I'm not sure which questions have gone unanswered, but be aware that if they are frequent questions, or if they are too vague ("What should I see and where should I stay") or if they are the type of question for which the answer can be easily googled ("what will the weather be like in July"), many users may just skip over them, rather than answering them for the umpteenth time. Conversely, if they are quite specific, it may be that none of the people who post for those areas have the knowledge to answer them.

Edited: 25 May 2010, 18:10
Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
141 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lack of response to questions

Sorry to day I agree with sunshine.

I read the forum here, and in parallel, the Nova Scotia forum, and there is a big difference in response. Three or four people do here most of the job (thanks bnimo, willwork), and occasionally someone else. Many posting remain with "no reply". Can it be that there are not so many people familiar with the area?

I wonder...

Newfoundland
Level Contributor
167 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: lack of response to questions

There is truth to all the above posts:

Newfoundland is a very small place with only 500,000 total population. This is smaller than most Canadian cities. So the resident population who contributes to TA is very small.

Newfoundland is also unheard of as a tourism destination. This means that the number of non-resident TA users who can contribute to the discussion is also minimal.

Combine this with the number of resident and people with NL travel experience who only contribute in one direction you start to see some of the causes of forum inactivity.

I travel as often as once a month for work and several times a year for a vacation but didn't hear about TA until last year. I try and add to the NL forum even when I am away from home, but work still poses some absences.

I know most parts of NL pretty well but still very specific questions such as "Does ABC restaurant have a vegan option?" or "Which is better X hotel or Y B&B?" I may not have an answer to.

Its too bad there aren't more contributors but I think it may be unavoidable.

I have a house on Isla Holbox in MX, the forum for Holbox is a lot like the NL forum due to a small population and a low visitor rate.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: lack of response to questions

Ditto to all of the above. I have been following the Newfoundland forum for the last year and have posted occasionally since we visited there last June. Newfoundland is in the early stage of developing tourism. Because of its relatively small population, there are only a few people "on the ground" who participate in TA. There are also a number of us who have visited Newfoundland and try to assist when we are able. (It is a beautiful province with truly hospitable people.) However, at least in my own case, there is a concern about information becoming "stale-dated".

A really excellent source of information for anyone reading this is the travel guide put out by the Newfoundland Tourism folks. Here is the website. See "Order Guides" in the lower right hand corner -

http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: lack of response to questions

I agree that many posts are so general ( "what should I do / where should I go") that any sort of a useful reply is almost impossible. There needs to be a "training course" [ lol...] for new posters so they at least indicate their interests, approximately when and where they will be arriving, and approximate length of their planned visit.... in Newfoundland the "when" is particularly important since Summer and the explosion of wildlife that accompanies it, is very short and the prime seasons for wildlife viewing, wildflower bloom etc can be very short. Add to that the fact that many tourist attractions, especially in smaller communities, are open only for a fairly brief Summer period.

Regards the difference in activity between Newfoundland and Nova Scotia - as noted above it is mainly a matter of the number of tourist activities in N.S. vs N.L. but I must say that, in general, tourism operators in Newfoundland do not use this forum as much as they probably should.

cheers-Jerry

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: lack of response to questions

Lol - maybe the responses just got lost in the fog. As a regular visitor I'd say the first (long) weekend of summer would still be a while away - hmmm maybe the end of August :-)

Yes not many TAers make it out here or are statistically likely to be here - except in the review section if you believe all those! Those that are here help when they can as far as I can see.

Also being here recently I've seen this is a province that values a "less frantic" pace of life where family comes first - something we can learn from.

10. Re: lack of response to questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 December 2010, 05:16